Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: bow weights

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 10, 2011
      Pretty much, everywhere I check i get the same answer.

      Now, I havn't done any SCA matches in soooo loooonnnggggg...
      And back then, there was a max-draw weight of 35# (30# for women). We could use lower but no higher.
      But they trusted us!  If i said, "My bow is a 30#, then 30# it was!  Of course, if someone came up with a huge bow that most people couldn't draw and claimed it was 35#, there was no way to confirm this.

      So, part 2 is this.
      I come to the field with my longbow.  Mike comes with his old Bear wood&fiberglass recurve that still looks like a longbow at 20'.

      You glance at his bow and see 35# printed on the bow, but mine has nothing of the sort.
      How can the field marshall be certain that my bow is the proper or claimed weight?

      On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:01 PM, James W <jameswolfden@...> wrote:

      If you just want to do it for the archery range, use a spring scale and be discrete about its use.

      If you want to do it as an Arts and Science project, then you need to do something you can document.

      It is highly unlikely that anyone other than the bowyer making the bow would even be concerned about the draw weight in the field. Like you said, you just pull it and go by feel. For all we know, that is all the bowyer did.

      I am not aware of any documentable period method of checking a bow's draw weight in England or Western European society.

      That said, in Stephen Selby's Archery Traditions of Asia, there is an illustration stated to come from the Ming Period which shows a bowyer using testing the draw weight similar to what you describe.

      The bowyer appears to be holding a long stick. It is either mounted on a support at one end or there is a counterweight with a fixed length string. I think it is the latter. At the other end, is a chain and a hook. The string of the bow is placed on the hook and the bow is weighted by tying the weights to the handle of the bow. My interpretation of the picture is that the stick is held so that the counterweight is touching the ground and the string attached to it is tight. The bowyer is checking to see that the bow just touches the ground on the other end.

      On advantage that this has is that the bowyer can easily control how long the bow stays at full draw by just raising and lower the stick. Disadvantage is that it still looks darn awkward.

      I tried to find the picture on the Atarn.org website but I couldn't find it.

      In Service,
      James

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 10, 2011
        I guess the big question would be: Why would you care?

        If a shoot is being run that has a maximum poundage (and in 13 years of sca shooting, I've never encountered this), the marshal should have a scale. If he doesn't, he's poorly organized, and would have to take the archer's word for it.

        The only place I've encountered a poundage limits is in the SCA for combat, and out in the world of FITA (60# for compound). We do sometimes have fun shoots that are split by poundage (35# a\nd over shoot the 180yd clout, lower shoot the shorter). If the bow's not marked, we typically trust the archer or scale it if he desires.

        William Arwemakere

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 10, 2011
          I guess that answers my question.

          Thank you all.