Re: [SCA-Archery] Source for interesting bodkins

  • Master Griffin McCai
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2000
      Geoffrei,

      Can you send along their web site (mentioned in the message)?

      Griffin
      East, Rusted Woodlands

      -----snipped-----

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 30, 2000
        Griffin'
        So sorry about that, I thought it was in the message, but here it is:
        www.archery-centre.co.uk/
        Geoffrei

      • Keith Dombrowski
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 6, 2000
          --- jrosswebb1@... wrote:
          > Good Gentles:
          > I've been in correspondence with these people in England (message
          > below)
          > and they produce several bodkins and broadheads and their prices seem
          > fair. I don't like making them myself anymore, and was looking for
          > other
          > sources. They seem like nice enough fellows, have any of you had
          > experience with them?
          > �� Message From: archery-centre@... (Tom�Foy) Date: Tue,

          I ordered some from them a while back, they are nice, solidly made
          bodkins. The international shipping makes them a bit pricy, but they
          look soooo much better than modern target points.

          Kean

          =====
          Ad Loc, Ad Hoc, Quid Pro Pro. So Little Time. So Much To Know.

          http://im.yahoo.com/
        • Master Griffin McCai
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 6, 2000
            I will repeat my request:

            Will someone please post the website address?

            Griffin

            >From: Keith Dombrowski <kad@...>
            >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Source for interesting bodkins
            >Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 12:14:44 -0700 (PDT)
            >

            >--- jrosswebb1@... wrote:
            > > Good Gentles:
            > > I've been in correspondence with these people in England (message
            > > below)
            > > and they produce several bodkins and broadheads and their prices seem
            > > fair. I don't like making them myself anymore, and was looking for
            > > other
            > > sources. They seem like nice enough fellows, have any of you had
            > > experience with them?
            > > �� Message From: archery-centre@... (Tom�Foy) Date: Tue,
            >
            >I ordered some from them a while back, they are nice, solidly made
            >bodkins. The international shipping makes them a bit pricy, but they
            >look soooo much better than modern target points.
            >
            >Kean
            >
            >=====
            >Ad Loc, Ad Hoc, Quid Pro Pro. So Little Time. So Much To Know.

            >http://im.yahoo.com/

            >Law.com is the preeminent online destination for legal professionals.
            >Visit Law.com for exclusive content from American Lawyer Media, online
            >CLE Seminars, Practice Centers and Career Listings.

          • Block, Alan W
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 6, 2000
              I have another source: Eagle Classic Archery sells a point called a Modbod
              which looks sort of like a short bodkin. The socket tapers toward the point
              then flares out again int a bulbous shape before tapering to the point. I
              buy these then grind 4 flats on the point with my belt sander. 30 seconds
              per point and 5.75 GBp / doz and they look realy good. 110 grains so any
              bow can push them.
            • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 6, 2000
                That sounds like a great way to go. I've done something similiar with
                field points and they look okay, but I like your description of the
                modbod. Is there a web addy on Eagle Classic? They're a company I
                haven't dealt with.
                Thanks,
                Geoffrei

              • Block, Alan W
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 6, 2000
                  Eagle Classic Archery is www.bownet.com/Instore/eaglerep.html
                • Susan Kell
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                    Master David McDougalls does something similar, although I don't know what
                    points he starts with. Been meaning to try this -- thanks!
                    -- Ygraine

                    On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Block, Alan W wrote:

                    > I have another source: Eagle Classic Archery sells a point called a Modbod
                    > which looks sort of like a short bodkin. The socket tapers toward the point
                    > then flares out again int a bulbous shape before tapering to the point. I
                    > buy these then grind 4 flats on the point with my belt sander. 30 seconds
                    > per point and 5.75 GBp / doz and they look realy good. 110 grains so any
                    > bow can push them.

                  • James W. Pratt Jr.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                      Be careful!! Make sure you do NOT make the edges sharp when grinding. On
                      Suanders and other grass butts they will excessivly damage the matt. AT
                      Pennsic I have been instructed not to allow their use.

                      James Cunningham

                    • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                        To James and all,
                        Your point is well taken(no pun intended).
                        I was delighted to receive the address and information about Eagle
                        Classic and their modbod points. I like the look of them even without
                        alteration. I just wish they made them in 160gr, but I'll be purchasing
                        some anyway and adding to the weight of the tip. The good gentle that
                        passed this information on is probably correct that they will give good
                        penetration to the mat and pull out easy. If any of you, like me were
                        not familiar with this site, check it out, it has lots of nifty things
                        to drool over
                        Fondly,
                        Geoffrei

                      • scholari@sector13.org
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                          I too like the original look of these points.
                          Geoffrei, you mention adding wieght to them,
                          how would you do this? And as I am avidly
                          curious, why do you want them at 160 grains?

                          Simon Hondy

                          Quoting jrosswebb1@...:
                          <content snipped>
                        • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                            The reason that I add weight to the points is that I shoot very heavy
                            bows(upwrd of 70#) and therefore heavy shafts. I like my arrows
                            point-heavy to bring the balance forawrd 15% of center. I normally get
                            by with 160gr heads but on occassion I have drilled into the point end
                            and epoxied in a finishing nail before I glue on the points. I clip off
                            the head of the nails and weigh them all and adjst with a grinder when
                            neccessary(usually). It sounds like a lot of work and I've had numerous
                            discussions/arguments with other fletchers and arrowsmiths about
                            heavy/light, tapered/barrel/parallel, high fletch/low fletch. What I
                            realized was, this works for me. I like very heavy arrows with heavy
                            points and high /long fletches with a lot of helical shot out of a heavy
                            draw, quick longbow with no shelf . I get less effect from wind and bad
                            weather than archers shooting light shafts with light heads and small
                            fletching. This works REAL well for me. I get a good quick recovery on
                            close shots, I normally get between 185-205 fps and I'm shooting pretty
                            flat at 100 yards.
                            Different strokes for different folks.
                            Fondly,
                            Geoffrei

                          • BILL / GWILYM
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                              You follow instructions?????

                            • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 7, 2000
                                You know, You shouldn't mess with somebody who has the word "cunning"
                                in his last name.