  • Sebhdann
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2011
      From the Norsefolk2 group.

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: dawna.rand@... <dawna.rand@...>
      Date: Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM
      Subject: [Norsefolk_2] Deer Intestine (and other materials) for Bowstrings?
      To: Norsefolk_2@yahoogroups.com

      Hi everyone,

      Speaking to any hunters or archers especially, but would deer instestines make good (or at least serviceable) bowstring? If not, why not?

      If so, does anyone have any articles on different materials Vikings used for bowstrings, and why they would have preferred certain materials over others?

      As always, I appreciate your time and expertise!
      Dawna

    • richard johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2011
        Intestines stretch too much.
        you use them as a food-package.

        Sinew may work.  I think I heard that is ok.

        From the Norsefolk2 group.

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 18, 2011
          Sinew is also an inferior bow string material when compared to plant based strings. Sinew is also very elastic which is why it makes a good backing for a composite bow. It can be used and has been used traditionally for bow strings but linen and hemp make better bow stings.

          The Bowyer's Bible lists gut as fair, sinew as good, and both hemp and linen as superior.

          As for Norse, I am not familiar with anything that gets into specifics of bowstrings other than one story that uses human hair. That was an emergency situation and didn't work out that well for the archer involved since his wife decided she wasn't going to give him any of her hair.

          I am not an expert on Norse culture but my guess would be that the Norse would be using linen or hemp bowstrings. Sinew strings tend to be more prevalent in less advanced societies where hunting and gathering is more prevalent. I would think a seafaring culture that was pretty advanced would be using plant based cordage.

          What do our Norse experts say? Is there any evidence one way or another?

          In Service,
          James

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

          > Intestines stretch too much.
          > you use them as a food-package.
          >
          > Sinew may work. I think I heard that is ok.
          >
          > On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Sebhdann <azurphnx@...> wrote:
          >

          > > From the Norsefolk2 group.

        • Edward deWitt
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 18, 2011
            Dawna,
            To add to this about intestines as bowstrings, I don't think they would be very good.  I have worked with violin strings for 30+ years and the old strings used on violins were sheep gut (not cat).  They can be pulled to a fairly high tension and may last for several years (not always good during those years).  I doubt that they could be stretched enough over and over to launch arrows.  A big problem is that they will stretch a lot, especially in humid conditions and become rather brittle in dry cold air.  Another thing that they would not do well with would be the constant friction from the nocked ends (my Flemish Twist get worn just from this) and the bumps or scrapes during combat or hunting.  Plain gut violin strings are supposed to be oiled to keep them pliable, if not they break under use.

            Sinew may work.  I think I heard that is ok.

            From the Norsefolk2 group.

          • bradb@micro-link.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 18, 2011
              I understand the conversation and would hope that it continues as I am
              learning some which I was not aware of prior to this. Very good
              information.

              However, I need to point out that natural gut and intestinal material is
              *not permitted* on any range within the Kingdom of Æthelmearc for the very
              properties being discussed. Natural material of this sort has no
              "Progressive Failure" which can be readily observed and noted. What this
              means is that the material stretches 'to a point' and then fails
              catastrophically ~ no warning. These strings will eventually give out with
              no warning and simply snap, usually at full draw.

              That is why they are not allowed on the target ranges in Æthelmearc. Nor
              are they permitted on the battle field for the Combat Archery weapon form.

              THL Brada Æthelward
              DEM Combat Archery Æthelmearc
              Region 3 Lt. General Target Archery