Re: [SCA-Archery] Feather Burner

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 29, 2000
      There was an article with plans for it in I believe a back issue of
      Traditional Bowhunter, Instinctive Archer or maybe
      Primitive Archer a couple of years ago I have to go through my back
      issues looking for something else and when I find the issue, I'll post
      it.
      Geoffrei

    • Mike O'Toole
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 29, 2000
        I was going to make a burner until I happened across one on Ebay.

        The Young burner consists of about 4-5 parts, a transformer to change
        the 120 VAC to 6 VAC rated for 5 amps, some wires to connect to the
        clamps that hold the burning ribbon, a frame to support the arrow while
        burning the feather and a box to hold the bits together and keep your
        fingers away from the electricity.

        Addons that are not available in the commercial models are a power
        switch and optional beverage holder (just kidding!)

        Assuming you know enough about electricity all you need to do is run the
        120 to the primary coil on the transformer and connect the burning wire
        to the secondary coil wires.

        I found a suitable transformer in an old printer that was being
        scavenged.

        Take a look at the burner if you havent already, they have them at Three
        Rivers and several other sites on the web.

        Talk nice to me and I may even take mine apart and photograph the
        innards for you!

        Michael O'Byrne

        PS a chopper is definitely not better.
        Would you like to earn money while surfing the web?
        http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=iby-734

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 29, 2000
          > Assuming you know enough about electricity all you need to do is run the
          > 120 to the primary coil on the transformer and connect the burning wire
          > to the secondary coil wires.

          Hmmm... what would penny-pincher use for a 'burning ribbon'? something out of a dead toaster?

          > > I am looking for a way to make a feather burner....

          I've wondered this for a while: What did the medievals/ancients do?
          I imagine using a metal guard/guide held against the shaft and fletch and using it to guide a glowing ember, but from what little experimentation I did, it seemed to take a lot of practice and a _very_ steady hand and or some technique I didn't hit on at the time. Hmmm i have an idea... I'll get back to you on it.

          Fritz

          --
          Carl West
          mailto:eisen@...

          Experience Real-Time Full-Motion Hi-res 3D with Surround Sound! Step Outside.
        • Alberic
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 29, 2000
            Carl West at home wrote:

            > > Assuming you know enough about electricity all you need to do is run the
            > > 120 to the primary coil on the transformer and connect the burning wire
            > > to the secondary coil wires.
            >
            > Hmmm... what would penny-pincher use for a 'burning ribbon'? something out of a dead toaster?

            Nichrome heating element wire. Pellican wire in Florida sells it in
            spools, but somehow, I don't picture anybody here needing 20 pounds of
            wire at a shot.
            Once it's been heated once or twice, you can't really re-bend it without
            breaking it, so scavenging the toaster is out. I've got some sources
            for it because I sometimes rebuild metalworking kilns that use it.
            Depending on how many people are interested, we could probably put
            together an order.

            Cheers-
            Alberic
          • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 29, 2000
              The ribbons for the Young Burner are cheap enough and work great. Why
              not just buy the replacement ribbons and spend your time worrying about
              getting the rest of the contraption to work?
              Geoffrei

            • Mike O'Toole
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 29, 2000
                I had bought replacement ribbons to use with the burner I was building.
                They aren't actually wires but a flat piece of metal (probably nichrome)
                that is slightly curved to give a cleaner burn on the feathers.

                Would you like to earn money while surfing the web?
                http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=iby-734

                > > Assuming you know enough about electricity all you need to do is run
                the
                > > 120 to the primary coil on the transformer and connect the burning
                wire
                > > to the secondary coil wires.
                >
                > Hmmm... what would penny-pincher use for a 'burning ribbon'?
                something out of a dead toaster?

                > > > I am looking for a way to make a feather burner....
                >
                > I've wondered this for a while: What did the medievals/ancients do?
                > I imagine using a metal guard/guide held against the shaft and fletch
                and using it to guide a glowing ember, but from what little
                experimentation I did, it seemed to take a lot of practice and a _very_
                steady hand and or some technique I didn't hit on at the time. Hmmm i
                have an idea... I'll get back to you on it.

                I have seen a drawing of a device that looked like a pair of tongs that
                had one piece of sheet metal attached to each jaw of the tongs. The
                sheet metal pieces were cut to the shape of the finished feather.

                A feather was then cut to length and then sandwiched between the sheet
                metal pieces and the tongs closed to prevent movement and at the same
                time protect the covered part of the feather. Any part of the feather
                that stuck out from the sandwich was singed off in a flame. After the
                feather was shaped it was then attached to the shaft.

                I think the picture was in Robert Elmer's book Archery.

                Michael O'Byrne

                > Fritz
                >
                > --
                > Carl West
                > mailto:eisen@...
                > http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen
                >
                > Experience Real-Time Full-Motion Hi-res 3D with Surround Sound! Step
                Outside.

                > Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for trying @Backup
                > Get automatic protection and access to your important computer files.
                > Install today:

              • Dennis Cooley
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 30, 2000
                  Greetings
                  If you can find an old Train set control transformer, it works good to. A
                  lot less set up time..
                  Once you get the burner set up, do it in a well ventilated area! Some where
                  where the wife can't smell it?
                  John-Paul

                • SwayzeK
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 30, 2000
                    On Jun 29, 7:53pm, Mike O'Toole wrote:
                    > I was going to make a burner until I happened across one on Ebay.
                    >
                    > The Young burner consists of about 4-5 parts, a transformer to change
                    > the 120 VAC to 6 VAC rated for 5 amps, some wires to connect to the
                    > clamps that hold the burning ribbon, a frame to support the arrow while
                    > burning the feather and a box to hold the bits together and keep your
                    > fingers away from the electricity.
                    >
                    > Addons that are not available in the commercial models are a power
                    > switch and optional beverage holder (just kidding!)
                    >
                    > Assuming you know enough about electricity all you need to do is run the
                    > 120 to the primary coil on the transformer and connect the burning wire
                    > to the secondary coil wires.
                    >
                    > I found a suitable transformer in an old printer that was being
                    > scavenged.
                    >
                    > Take a look at the burner if you havent already, they have them at Three
                    > Rivers and several other sites on the web.
                    >
                    > Talk nice to me and I may even take mine apart and photograph the
                    > innards for you!
                    >
                    > Michael O'Byrne
                    >
                    > PS a chopper is definitely not better.

                    >-- End of excerpt from Mike O'Toole

                    But Michael, burning feathers have a very bad odor. And think of all the
                    aggression you can work out cutting three dozen fletches. Where's my hammer?!!

                    Ailinn Shadowfox
                  • D Humberson
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 30, 2000
                      F & S sells replacement ribbons for about $1.25 each, and there really is a
                      difference - the Young ribbon isn't flat, which allows for a very stiff
                      shape and a very consistent burn when used correctly. The smell can get
                      pretty intense if you do a dozen, so consider using a vent.

                      Ragnar Ketilsson

                      >From: Alberic <ALBERIC@...>
                      >To: SCA-Archery@egroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Feather Burner
                      >Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 22:21:21 -0700
                      >

                      >Carl West at home wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Assuming you know enough about electricity all you need to do is run
                      >the
                      > > > 120 to the primary coil on the transformer and connect the burning
                      >wire
                      > > > to the secondary coil wires.
                      > >
                      > > Hmmm... what would penny-pincher use for a 'burning ribbon'? something
                      >out of a dead toaster?
                      >
                      >Nichrome heating element wire. Pellican wire in Florida sells it in
                      >spools, but somehow, I don't picture anybody here needing 20 pounds of
                      >wire at a shot.
                      >Once it's been heated once or twice, you can't really re-bend it without
                      >breaking it, so scavenging the toaster is out. I've got some sources
                      >for it because I sometimes rebuild metalworking kilns that use it.
                      >Depending on how many people are interested, we could probably put
                      >together an order.
                      >
                      >Cheers-
                      >Alberic

                    • Susan Kell
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 30, 2000
                        Hi Frydherik -
                        Well, I don't know if he had documentable information or if he was just
                        speculating, but Master David McDougalls once described what *could have*
                        been used -- a flat metal sheet with the fletch profile cut-out at one
                        end would be heated (from the other end); the arrow would be
                        rotated against the cut-out so that the feather outside the desired
                        profile would be burned away (as with today's wire-style burners) by the
                        heated metal.
                        'course they could have just trimmed the feathers to shape with shears...
                        -- Ygraine

                        On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Carl West at home wrote:

                        > > Assuming you know enough about electricity all you need to do is run the
                        > > 120 to the primary coil on the transformer and connect the burning wire
                        > > to the secondary coil wires.
                        >
                        > Hmmm... what would penny-pincher use for a 'burning ribbon'? something out of a dead toaster?
                        >

                        > > > I am looking for a way to make a feather burner....
                        >
                        > I've wondered this for a while: What did the medievals/ancients do?
                        > I imagine using a metal guard/guide held against the shaft and fletch and using it to guide a glowing ember, but from what little experimentation I did, it seemed to take a lot of practice and a _very_ steady hand and or some technique I didn't hit on at the time. Hmmm i have an idea... I'll get back to you on it.
                        >
                        > Fritz
                        >
                        > --
                        > Carl West
                        > mailto:eisen@...
                        > http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen
                        >
                        > Experience Real-Time Full-Motion Hi-res 3D with Surround Sound! Step Outside.

                        > Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for trying @Backup
                        > Get automatic protection and access to your important computer files.
                        > Install today:

                      • Susan Kell
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 30, 2000
                          Or husband ! 8-)
                          John-Paul has a good point: burning feathers smell gawd-awful. Do it
                          outside, if you can.
                          -- Ygraine

                        • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 30, 2000
                            I've looked through my old issues and i can't seem to find the plans for
                            a feather burner, but I believe it was in a back issue of Traditional
                            Bowhunter and now that I think about it it was probably 5 or 6 years
                            ago. From what I remember,the train transformer was the kind of thing
                            reccommended.
                            I've been using the Young feather burner for years and I like the
                            results, but you're all right, the smell is fierce! Keep a small wire
                            brush or the sort handy when you are using the burner,because sometimes
                            some of the burned off feather sticks to the ribbon and ignites.(nothing
                            serious,but it will get your attention.) usually blowing on it puts it
                            right out, but some charred pieces stay on the ribbon , so brush it off
                            afer each pass. Don't put your spot of glue on the fletch at the front
                            and back until after you've burned them into shape. The Duco ignites
                            real easy too. After you're done with the burning you'll have to run a
                            piece of fine sandpaper or a blade(used as a scraper) over the cut area
                            to remove the charring at the edges.
                            I have all of the choppers, and I use them once in a while, but I
                            personally prefer the burner, even with the "burning hair" smell.
                            Good luck,
                            Geoffrei

                          • Hugh Prescott
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 30, 2000
                              Old Ceramic kiln repairman experiance speaking

                              From the discription of the wire you are discribing it is not Nichrome. It
                              sounds more like Canthal A or A1. Canthal wires are used in klins to heat
                              approaching molten steel F 2000 and up. This type of wire contains Alumium
                              which froms a protective oxide on the surface of the wire to protect it from
                              futhur oxidation. Because of the oxide coating and the other metals (not
                              Nichrome) it becomes extreamly brittle and springey once it has been to
                              operating tempature. I have bent Canthal wire in a kiln by heating it bright
                              white and then stuffing it back into the cutouts, (wear flame proof shoulder
                              length gloves and thermal face protection)

                              Canthal wires are expensive. Cantahal wire only needed if you are going VERY
                              hot.

                              Nichrome wire does not get brittle after the first few tempature cycles.
                              Cold nichrome can be reformed many times. Old used (oxisided) Nichrome
                              heater elements may be brittle, if it breaks while you are forming it for a
                              feather cutter you have badly oxidised nichrome or you have Canthal.

                              Feather cutters do not even need to get red to do the job. In fact high temp
                              will cause melt back and burned edges. Nichrome is the metal of choice here
                              although I have used steel wire.

                              For small amounts of nichrome wire salvage it from toasters, heaters etc.
                              Also most hobby shops carry nichrome wire is 10-20 foot lengths for foam
                              cutters. Check on prepackaged foam cutters at craft shops.

                              If you salvage your nichrome email me at hugh@... for details on how to
                              caculate the voltage needed for heating it up.

                              Hugh
                              Archer Huscarl Calontir

                              > Nichrome heating element wire. Pellican wire in Florida sells it in
                              > spools, but somehow, I don't picture anybody here needing 20 pounds of
                              > wire at a shot.
                              > Once it's been heated once or twice, you can't really re-bend it without
                              > breaking it, so scavenging the toaster is out. I've got some sources
                              > for it because I sometimes rebuild metalworking kilns that use it.
                              > Depending on how many people are interested, we could probably put
                              > together an order.
                              >
                              > Cheers-
                              > Alberic
                            • Chris Nogy
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 30, 2000
                                You know

                                If you take a relatively clean automotive cigarette lighter, bend back the cover around the heating element coil, and unroll it, you get a pretty good cutting ribbon...

                                Kaz
                              • Mike O'Toole
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 30, 2000
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 30, 2000
                                    Hugh Prescott wrote:

                                    > Old Ceramic kiln repairman experience speaking
                                    > If you salvage your nichrome email me at hugh@... for details on how to
                                    > caculate the voltage needed for heating it up.

                                    I've got some I got as surplus. Are you willing to post these details to the list? I know _I_ want to archive them.

                                    --
                                    Carl West
                                    mailto:eisen@...
                                    http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen

                                    Experience Real-Time Full-Motion Hi-res 3D with Surround Sound! Step Outside.
                                  • Jack Bradley
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 30, 2000
                                      You bring back fond memories

                                      Mike O'Toole wrote:

> [...]
                                    • Mike O'Toole
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 1, 2000
                                        I found that after burning 3-4 dozen worth of feathers on arrow shafts
                                        the smell isn't that objectionable. Then again some of the things I
                                        have had the misfortune of smelling were MUCH worse than the acrid odour
                                        of burning feathers/hair.

                                        Any time I find the stress building up I break out the anvil and 60
                                        ounce baby sledge, and go to town on some steel. If it's been a bad day
                                        I find something to do with stainless steel. :-)

                                        Michael