Re: bad archery

  • The Greys
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2011
      In several of the references I have read recently concerning period archery they talk/describe two types of archers. Those who rode horses to battle then dismounted and often lead groups of men and those who are on foot. But in all cases they mention that archers of period were anything but scrawny. The mental picture I got from the descriptions is that the average archer was slightly taller than the average man and big strong farm boys, to use a modern term of definition. But as pointed out here and supported by the skeletons from the Merry Rose, you had to be very strong to pull a war bow for very long.

      cog