Re: [SCA-Archery] Period archery competitions

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2, 2011

      Oblio

      You may not like modern compounds, but they are still bows, even if they do have training wheels.  Let us now drop the negative words about modern archery gear for it is insulting to those on this list that may also use them.

      Jon

      Definition of ARCHERY

      1
      : the art, practice, or skill of shooting with bow and arrow

      From the online Merriam-Webster Dictonary.

      On Jan 2, 2011, at 9:12 PM, Oblio of Abertwidr wrote:

      On 03/01/2011, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

      > On Jan 2, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Oblio of Abertwidr wrote:
      >>

      >> What is being done, now, at international archery championships, is
      >> the cheapening of archery; making it tawdry, by FITA. But, shooting a
      >> modern compound bow, where a person does not need to use an arrow any
      >> more, and, with all of the gadgetry, makes that type of archery,
      >> machine operation, and not archery.
      >>

      > It may not be period archery, but it is still archery.

      Is shooting a projectile that has not fletching, but a space age
      circular plastic aerodynamic guidance mechanism shaped like the tail
      of a spaceship, from a machine that uses training wheels and multiple
      cables that criss-cross, and using one for more spirit levels to
      ensure "trueness" in the same way that spirit levels are used in
      setting up a machine lathe for high precision turning, with multiple
      lighting rods going in multiple directions, and little grenade things
      to absorb the impact of the string releasing the arrow, and laser
      sights using fibre optics, to illuminate the point of impact that is
      sought, archery?

      It is as much archery, as shooting with a 338 Lapua Magnum Sniper
      Rifle with a 32" barrel, on a bipod, with a night vision scope and a
      laser range finder and laser guided sight.

      The only thing that it has in common with archery (in the case of the
      modern FITA compound bow that includes training wheels for archers who
      cannot shoot a bow), is that it involves a projectile being flung by
      the release of tension, as common with archery, as a siege catapult.

      --
      Oblio of Abertwidr
      Per fructu, non folii

    • Dearg Ailfredsson
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 8, 2011
        Thank you,
        My life is a Comedy of Arrows

        Dearg.

        Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
        [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
        "Red son of Alfred"
        11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell
        a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
        Leather Craftsman, Archer and Huntsman
        Paid SCA member since 2003