Re: [SCA-Archery] Period archery competitions

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2, 2011
      Oblio

      For some reason you seem to be reading much more into my simple suggestion to encourage the use of more period style targets and competitions.  I have not made any suggestion to change the requirements for: Bows. Arrow nocks. Carbon fibre bows or arrows. Naming practices. Horsebows.  The use of fiberglass in gear. Archery butts or backstops. Or any of the other things you have brought up.

      If you are against the idea  of encouraging the use of more period style targets.  That is fine.  But, please do try to make it seem that I have proposed any of these other ideas that you have suggested.

      Jon

      On Jan 2, 2011, at 9:02 PM, Oblio of Abertwidr wrote:

      On 03/01/2011, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

      >> How many "period" archers in the SCA, shoot with bows that are warbow
      >> styled bows (compass bows), and, how many shoot with Victorian styled
      >> bows (which are not from the period covered by the SCA?
      >>

      > That is an interesting question. However, any style of bow, except
      > compounds, are allowed by SCA rules.
      >
      > And I am not looking for a change in the style of bows allowed, just wanting
      > to see more period style targets and scoring used.

      What, then, is the point in pushing for more of what you perceive as
      "period style targets and scoring", if you are not going to do the
      same for the equipment?

      Why not simply allow carbon fibre bows and arrows, with all of the
      gadgetry, including spirit levels and range finders, to shoot at
      "period style targets", in the "period division"?

      And, apart from the inconsistency of using non-"period" equipment, to
      shoot at "period style" targets, with "period style" scoring, what is
      defined as "period"?

      Some (much) documentation published about the SCA, states that it
      relates to being "pre 1600". Some (much) documentation states that the
      SCA only covers the period 600AD to 1600. Some documentation states
      that the SCA covers only the "Middle Ages". Some documentation states
      that the "Middle Ages" is only the period 1350AD to 1450AD. Many
      opinions differ on what period was the "Middle Ages". Some
      documentation restricts the geographic coverage of the SCA, to
      "Western Europe".

      Are we then, looking at a proposed purge of all things that do not fit
      into a particular person's perception of what should be covered by the
      SCA, or, a particular group's perception of what should be covered by
      the SCA?

      Are all people with "Middle Eastern" names, to be "filtered out"?

      Should all archery equipment that does not conform to a particular
      person's, or, group's, perception of what should be covered by the
      SCA, such as horsebows (not a feature of "Western Europe in the period
      600AD to 1600AD"), Victorian Longbows (out of "period" - the Victorian
      era is not within the period "600AD to 1600AD"), and Holmegaard Bows
      (Otzi the Iceman was about 9000 years ago, a bit before the period
      "600AD to 1600AD"), be filtered out of what is acceptable as "period"
      equipment, because these bow types might not fit into the perception
      of a person, or, of a group, of what is covered by the SCA?

      The issue of the target faces, and what should be used withion the
      SCA, as target faces, and, as "period style" target faces, brings into
      question, a great many, more significant, issues, as to what might or
      might not be regarded as appropriate for archery in the SCA.

      Such issues as whether it is better to require the use of self-nocked
      arrows, which can make the archery more dangerous, arther than
      allowing plastic nocked arrows, which are far safer, in the period
      division, and whether fibreglass in bows should be acceptable in the
      period division, are surely, more important, than the appearance of
      the target face, are they not?

      And, are we to expect that complicity of target butts, with whatever
      was used hundreds of years ago (no synthetic materials, only bales of
      hay, or, naturally grown reeds, tied in circles, mounted on wooden
      frames that are not fastened with synthetic materials), is to be
      expected or required in archery within the SCA?

      Surely, the purpose of the SCA, should be inclusivity, rather than
      exclusivity, with the emphasis on safety, should it not?

      --
      Oblio of Abertwidr
      Per fructu, non folii

    • Dearg Ailfredsson
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 8, 2011
        Thank you,
        My life is a Comedy of Arrows

        Dearg.

        Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
        [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
        "Red son of Alfred"
        11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell
        a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
        Leather Craftsman, Archer and Huntsman
        Paid SCA member since 2003