Re: [SCA-Archery] Period archery competitions

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2, 2011
      Actually there is some fairly complete information on some competitions.  The Schutzenfests in Germany had archers attending from various cities.  The announcement of the competition was sent to all the cities competing and included the information on the number of matches, distance to be shot and size of the target and general rules.  This was indicated by a full scale drawing of the target and a line printed on the announcement or a length of string showing the length of the unit of measurement used for the distance.

      In England for shooting at the marks in Finsbury Fields outside of London, there was the "Ayme for Finsburie Archers", an edition was printed in 1594.  This booklet shows the distances between the marks and gives the rules for shooting.

      With wreath or wand shooting the target was the size that that the archer setting it up decided it would be and then was shot at whatever distance he set it up.  The scoring was a simple hit or miss.

      Jon

      On Jan 2, 2011, at 8:10 PM,   wrote:

      Education can be done just as well with a modern face and explaining
      what we know of period archery. The fact that we really don't know what
      period target archery consisted of makes any attempt at reconstruction
      on our part even more suspect and says more about our own arrogance than
      it does about historical archery. Using something the average person
      can relate to will bring it that much closer to them and make th
      historical continuity more apparent.

      This is something modern archaeologists and museologists must wrestle
      with routinely when they try to reconstruct a ruin or archaeological
      site for public viewing. How much can or should be done to make the
      site relevant and meaningful to modern viewers without putting too much
      modern interpretation on it. Using best guess reconstructions
      alongside modern faces would best represent the variety of archery as
      practiced, demonstrate our lack of definite knowledge, convey meaning
      and relevance, and draw in new participants.
      Carolus

    • Dearg Ailfredsson
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 8, 2011
        Thank you,
        My life is a Comedy of Arrows

        Dearg.

        Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
        [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
        "Red son of Alfred"
        11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell
        a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
        Leather Craftsman, Archer and Huntsman
        Paid SCA member since 2003