Re: [SCA-Archery] Period archery competitions

  • Oblio of Abertwidr
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2, 2011
      On 03/01/2011, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

      > The colored five ring target and scoring as is used in modern archery dates
      > back only to the Prince of Wales in 1787, he established the "prince’s
      > reckoning" (values for rings of 9, 7, 5, 3, 1 point) and colors. There is
      > some evidence of multi ring targets being used in very late period.

      And,

      "
      By 1 339, archers had come to be half of the whole mass of footmen,
      and later the proportion was greatly increased. In 1360 Edward III.
      mounted his archers, as Strongbow had done. The long-bow was about 5
      ft., and its shaft a cloth-yard long. Shot by a Welsh archer, a shaft
      had penetrated an oak door (at Abergavenny in 1182) 4 in. thick and
      the head stood out a hand's breadth on the inner side. Drawn to the
      right ear, the bow was naturally capable of long shooting, and in
      Henry VIII.'s time practice at a less range than one furlong was
      forbidden.
      "
      - http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Archery as viewed at the time of
      writing this posting.

      So, no doubt, we shot be shooting distances less than a furlong, for
      the sake of "authenticity"?

      From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furlong , we have

      "
      A furlong is a measure of distance in imperial units and U.S.
      customary units. It is equal to one-eighth of an international mile,
      to 220 yards, and to 660 feet. Since furlongs are not used for
      precision measurements, there is no need to consider other slightly
      different conversions.
      "

      So, practice (not competition, but, practice), was banned for
      distances less than 10 chains, or, 11 score yards.

      So, should we not all be shooting either 11 score yards (or, more
      appropriately, for adults, 12 score yards, as previously mentioned)?,
      for the sake of "authenticity"?

      And, should the bows that are shot in the "period division", be
      restricted to exclude Victorian Longbow styled bows (bows with
      stiffened handles), as they are out of period, and, be restricted to
      compass bows (bows that bend all the way from tip to tip, bending
      evenly through the handle),. and, excluding fibreglass, and, excluding
      butts that are not as they would have been over four hundred years
      ago?

      Easier to just shoot roving marks, with no international competition
      (and, international competitions, such as the Royal Round and IKAC
      competitions, are not "authentic", as they did not have means of
      communication of scores via the Internet; if a person shot in a
      tournament, the person had to physically attend the particular shoot,
      and not arrive all fresh from travelling in a horseless carriage, but,
      rather, had to ravel on horseback, or, in a wooden carriage (without
      hydraulic suspension and refrigerated airconditioning), or, on foot,
      travelling however many miles or leagues, to attend the shoot, and
      perhaps getting shot or kidnapped by brigands, on the way to the
      shoot.

      So, exactly what degree of "authenticity", do you seek in your quest
      for absolute authenticity?

      --
      Oblio of Abertwidr
      Per fructu, non folii
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 8, 2011
        Thank you,
        My life is a Comedy of Arrows

        Dearg.

        Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
        [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
        "Red son of Alfred"
        11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell
        a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
        Leather Craftsman, Archer and Huntsman
        Paid SCA member since 2003