Re: [SCA-Archery] Period archery competitions

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2, 2011
      Point of note. The statute only states a distance. It does not state a
      target, number of arrows, or mandated accuracy. For all we know it
      referred to exactly what we consider "flight" shooting. Get the arrow
      out that distance and who cares what it hits. It must be remembered the
      purpose of the statute - to prepare archers for war. It must also be
      remembered the nature of archery in war at the time and culture of the
      statute. It was used as a mass fire, area interdiction, weapon. At
      that time and culture, as opposed to others, archery was not a targeted,
      direct fire weapon. Nor does archery in the SCA represent only war
      archery. Throughout the period archery was used for hunting and most
      likely sport - certainly by the last century of our period it was used
      purely as a sport by the upper classes without any of its practical
      aspects. We must remember all these aspects as well as the social place
      of archery in our teaching of what archery is about.
      Carolus

      Oblio of Abertwidr wrote:
      > snip
      > Regarding the prospect of shooting the distance of 12 score yards, no
      > archer in the world, is recognised as shooting that distance, as a
      > shoot other than a flight shoot, as modern archers are simply not
      > capable of the degree of skill that applied when King Henry VIII shot
      > in the Field Of Gold.
      >
      > The skill is gone. Not even compound bow machine operators are capable
      > of shooting that distance, in a test of skill of accuracy.
      >
      > And, modern longbow archers do not have the strength or skill, to
      > shoot such a distance, for accuracy.
      > snip
    • Dearg Ailfredsson
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 8, 2011
        Thank you,
        My life is a Comedy of Arrows

        Dearg.

        Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
        [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
        "Red son of Alfred"
        11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell
        a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
        Leather Craftsman, Archer and Huntsman
        Paid SCA member since 2003