Re: [SCA-Archery] Period archery competitions

  • Oblio of Abertwidr
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2, 2011
      On 03/01/2011, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
      > The IKAC is a privately sponsored competition. The SCA as such, does not
      > have a period division or rules for a period division. Nothing has been
      > said in this thread about requiring all archers to shoot in a period
      > division using period gear. However, the IKAC could change its rules to
      > require the use of the period face while still allowing the use of modern
      > equipment in the Open division. There is nothing in the SCA Target Archery
      > Rules that would not allow a competition to set rules that would require the
      > use of period only gear and and period targets and scoring for all archers
      > shooting in that competition.

      The IKAC is shot withion nthe SCA, and it has Rules that are compliant
      with SCA Rules, and thus the IKAC Rules are SCA Rules, and thus, the
      period division is recognised as such, within the SCA.

      From what I understand, the IKAC Rules are set by a single person
      within the SCA; the "Keeper Of The IKAC".

      > What I would like to see encouraged is the use of more period style targets
      > and scoring at our events. I do not think that replacing all modern
      > targets and scoring with those of period is needed or a good idea at this
      > time.
      >
      > There was no single "statutory distance" for target archery in pre 1600
      > Europe. One should not confuse archery laws in England during a specific
      > time as pertaining to all of Europe. And if we were to require 12 score
      > yards as a minimum, then there would be few events or practices that had
      > enough space to safely shoot and too few archers that would try to shoot
      > that distance. However, when such distance is available and safe, it would
      > be a good idea to sometimes make use of it.

      The requirement to shoot 12 score yards, was a statute that was in
      force for quite a while in England, and, from what I understand,
      England was a part of Europe.

      It is, I believe, the only statute of which modern people are aware,
      that specified distances to be shot, and therefore, qualifies as a
      "single "statutory distance" for target archery in pre 1600 Europe" -
      however, as it allowed people under a certain age, to shoot 11 score
      yards, rather than 12 score yards, to make it easy for them, I suppose
      that it was not a "single "statutory distance", as a shorther distance
      was allowed for younger people.

      Regarding the prospect of shooting the distance of 12 score yards, no
      archer in the world, is recognised as shooting that distance, as a
      shoot other than a flight shoot, as modern archers are simply not
      capable of the degree of skill that applied when King Henry VIII shot
      in the Field Of Gold.

      The skill is gone. Not even compound bow machine operators are capable
      of shooting that distance, in a test of skill of accuracy.

      And, modern longbow archers do not have the strength or skill, to
      shoot such a distance, for accuracy.

      It could be worth you checking, but I know that the maximum distance
      shot for clout, in international competition, is 185m, for men
      compound bow machine operators, and 185m is only about 10 score yards.

      --
      Oblio of Abertwidr
      Per fructu, non folii
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 8, 2011
        Thank you,
        My life is a Comedy of Arrows

        Dearg.

        Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
        [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
        "Red son of Alfred"
        11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell
        a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
        Leather Craftsman, Archer and Huntsman
        Paid SCA member since 2003