Re: [SCA-Archery] Period archery competitions

  • Oblio of Abertwidr
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2, 2011
      On 03/01/2011, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
      > A happy New Year and a joyous Twelfth NIght to one and all.
      >
      > It has been rather quite on this group for a while, so I thought I would try
      > to get a discussion going.
      >
      > ************
      > Despite what we all may have learned from watching Errol Flynn’s “Robin
      > Hood”, the five color FITA target face was never used in Medieval or even
      > Renaissance archery competitions.
      >
      > The idea of finding a more period target to use for archery in the Society
      > for Creative Anachronism has been discussed lately in SCA archery circles.
      > The sixty cm five ring colored target that is in common use, is not at all
      > in period and detracts from the medieval look for which our archery events
      > should strive. I say this even though I am the one that first introduced its
      > use for the Royal Round and IKAC. If I had known more about medieval archery
      > back then, I would have used a more period looking target.
      >
      > I have a copy of a photo from the second SCA tourney that shows a fighter
      > wearing a motorcycle helmet in the foreground with an archery target in the
      > background. The target was a FITA five-color face. It has been over
      > forty-five years and motorcycle helmets are no longer with us. However, we
      > are still using that same non-period target face.
      >
      > The colored five ring target and scoring as is used in modern archery dates
      > back only to the Prince of Wales in 1787, he established the "prince’s
      > reckoning" (values for rings of 9, 7, 5, 3, 1 point) and colors. There is
      > some evidence of multi ring targets being used in very late period.
      >
      > I would like to hear what archers around the Society think of the idea of
      > encouraging the use of period style targets in our competitions and what
      > they have been doing to encourage this idea.
      >

      > For some information on period targets see:
      >
      > www.modaruniversity.org/Archery8.doc
      >
      > Jon

      Given that the SCA has, in the IKAC Rules, a period target face design
      that may be used in shooting in the period divisions, and that the SCA
      allows the open division, why should archers in the open division,
      that are allowed to shoot with modern equipment, be required to shoot
      on what may be perceived as being a particular period target face?

      If a perceived period target face design is to be implemented for all,
      should we not be shooting the statutory distance from period, of 12
      score yards?

      --
      Oblio of Abertwidr
      Per fructu, non folii
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 8, 2011
        Thank you,
        My life is a Comedy of Arrows

        Dearg.

        Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
        [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
        "Red son of Alfred"
        11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell
        a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
        Leather Craftsman, Archer and Huntsman
        Paid SCA member since 2003