Re: [SCA-Archery] Period archery competitions

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2 8:10 PM
      Education can be done just as well with a modern face and explaining
      what we know of period archery. The fact that we really don't know what
      period target archery consisted of makes any attempt at reconstruction
      on our part even more suspect and says more about our own arrogance than
      it does about historical archery. Using something the average person
      can relate to will bring it that much closer to them and make th
      historical continuity more apparent.

      This is something modern archaeologists and museologists must wrestle
      with routinely when they try to reconstruct a ruin or archaeological
      site for public viewing. How much can or should be done to make the
      site relevant and meaningful to modern viewers without putting too much
      modern interpretation on it. Using best guess reconstructions
      alongside modern faces would best represent the variety of archery as
      practiced, demonstrate our lack of definite knowledge, convey meaning
      and relevance, and draw in new participants.
      Carolus

      John edgerton wrote:

      > I agree that for comparing scores with archers in other kingdoms and
      > in your own, a standard target and scoring and distances are needed.
      > I picked the FITA five color face for the RR and the IKAC because it
      > was a standard face and easy to obtain. However, any target and
      > scoring could be used as long as it is consistent for all involved. I
      > have no problem with it being used for RRs and IKACs for practice or
      > for scoring. One can "chase scores" with a period target as well as a
      > FITA face.
      >
      > I would like to see more period targets and scoring used in
      > competitions at events. Part of the purpose of the SCA is
      > educational. We could help to do our part by educating our archers
      > and the spectators by showing examples of what was done in period.
      > There are period competitions that are fun to shoot and to observe as
      > well.
      >
      > Jon
      >
      > On Jan 2, 2011, at 5:25 PM, Dan Scheid wrote:
      >

      >> Jon, I think that the FITA target is used because it is easy to
      >> compare your score to someone else 3000 miles away. And as long as we
      >> want to "chase scores" then a common yard stick is needed. At our
      >> local practice the FITA targets are put up but most don't keep score.
      >> We have also put up silhouettes , eggs on Easter , bottle caps. I
      >> Have to admit I'm proud of my archery rank. but I have noticed over
      >> the last 20 or 30 years that chasing the rank has become more
      >> important to some then just shooting. I think promoting more period
      >> is great and pushing the fun is better. but we have to keep in mind
      >> the very nature of the human beast.
      >> Damales

    • Dearg Ailfredsson
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 8 7:22 AM
        Thank you,
        My life is a Comedy of Arrows

        Dearg.

        Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
        [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
        "Red son of Alfred"
        11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell
        a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
        Leather Craftsman, Archer and Huntsman
        Paid SCA member since 2003