Re: [SCA-Archery] Period archery competitions

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2, 2011

      On Jan 2, 2011, at 7:50 PM, Carolus wrote:

      Biggest problem with this entire discussion is that we really have no
      idea what period shooting may have been like. We can make some guesses
      based on some artistic renditions but they are still modern ideas.

      True.  But, we knowl the Five color FITA face was not used in period.

      Whether we use one ring or five, what size, or even just a point it
      really doesn't matter what the target is. Period archers, just like
      modern ones tried to figure out who could shoot with the most accuracy
      for a given number of arrows. This will vary every time they get
      together to shoot.

      There are a number of period competitions on which  some information can be found.  Any of these can be used without always shooting the FITA face.

      As Damales said, if we want to chase scores over the
      entire SCA we need a common measure and the FITA target is best for
      that.

      I am not saying that the FITA face should be replaced for RRs and IKACs.  However, it could be replaced by any target and scoring as long it was used by all for those or similar competitions.

      Jon

      If we want to do something else, whoever is shooting can decide
      that on the spot or whoever is hosting the shoot can do it. Frankly, I
      am getting tired of hashing this over and over. What we really need to
      know is the nature of the given shoot, the fact that we will never know
      how period or not it is, and that the similarity with our medieval
      counterparts is our attempt to control our bodies and our equipment,
      whatever it may be.
      Carolus

    • Dearg Ailfredsson
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 8, 2011
        Thank you,
        My life is a Comedy of Arrows

        Dearg.

        Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
        [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
        "Red son of Alfred"
        11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell
        a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
        Leather Craftsman, Archer and Huntsman
        Paid SCA member since 2003