Re: [SCA-Archery] Period archery competitions

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2, 2011
      The IKAC is a privately sponsored competition.  The SCA as such, does not have a period division or rules for a period division.  Nothing has been said in this thread about requiring all archers to shoot in a period division using period gear.  However, the IKAC could change its rules to require the use of the period face while still allowing the use of modern equipment in the Open division.  There is nothing in the SCA Target Archery Rules that would not allow a competition to set rules that would require the use of period only gear and and period targets and scoring for all archers shooting in that competition.

      What I would like to see encouraged is the use of more period style targets and scoring at our events.    I do not think that replacing all modern targets and scoring with those of period is needed or a good idea at this time.

      There was no single "statutory distance" for target archery in pre 1600 Europe.  One should not confuse archery laws in England during a specific time as pertaining to all of Europe.  And if we were to require 12 score yards as a minimum, then there would be few events or practices that had enough space to safely shoot and too few archers that would try to shoot that distance.  However, when such distance is available and safe, it would be a good idea to sometimes make use of it.

      Jon

      On Jan 2, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Oblio of Abertwidr wrote:

      Given that the SCA has, in the IKAC Rules, a period target face design
      that may be used in shooting in the period divisions, and that the SCA
      allows the open division, why should archers in the open division,
      that are allowed to shoot with modern equipment, be required to shoot
      on what may be perceived as being a particular period target face?

      If a perceived period target face design is to be implemented for all,
      should we not be shooting the statutory distance from period, of 12
      score yards?

      --
      Oblio of Abertwidr
      Per fructu, non folii

    • Dearg Ailfredsson
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 8, 2011
        Thank you,
        My life is a Comedy of Arrows

        Dearg.

        Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
        [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
        "Red son of Alfred"
        11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell
        a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
        Leather Craftsman, Archer and Huntsman
        Paid SCA member since 2003