Re: [SCA-Archery] Period archery competitions

  • Bill Tait
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2, 2011
      Wellll,

      If scoring as done today using multi-colored rings is OOP, would a system of hit / miss be more period? Shoot at a circle from a distance, one point per hit. Seems fairly simple and potentially done in period.

      Also done last year for the compound elimination rounds at the Archery World Cup. Tie breakers are also resolved by a one-arrow, closes to center method. That also sounds like something that would have been done in our period. :)

      William Arwemakere

      On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 11:51 AM, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:

      A happy New Year and a joyous Twelfth NIght to one and all.

      It has been rather quite on this group for a while, so I thought I would try to get a discussion going.

      ************

      Despite what we all may have learned from watching Errol Flynn’s “Robin Hood”, the five color FITA target face was never used in Medieval or even Renaissance archery competitions.

      The idea of finding a more period target to use for archery in the Society for Creative Anachronism has been discussed lately in SCA archery circles. The sixty cm five ring colored target that is in common use, is not at all in period and detracts from the medieval look for which our archery events should strive. I say this even though I am the one that first introduced its use for the Royal Round and IKAC. If I had known more about medieval archery back then, I would have used a more period looking target.

      I have a copy of a photo from the second SCA tourney that shows a fighter wearing a motorcycle helmet in the foreground with an archery target in the background.  The target was a FITA five-color face.  It has been over forty-five years and motorcycle helmets are no longer with us.  However, we are still using that same non-period target face.

      The colored five ring target and scoring as is used in modern archery dates back only to the Prince of Wales in 1787, he established the "prince’s reckoning" (values for rings of 9, 7, 5, 3, 1 point) and colors.  There is some evidence of multi ring targets being used in very late period.

      I would like to hear what archers around the Society think of the idea of encouraging the use of period style targets in our competitions and what they have been doing to encourage this idea.

      For some information on period targets see:

      Jon

    • Dearg Ailfredsson
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 8, 2011
        Thank you,
        My life is a Comedy of Arrows

        Dearg.

        Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
        [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
        "Red son of Alfred"
        11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell
        a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
        Leather Craftsman, Archer and Huntsman
        Paid SCA member since 2003