Re: [SCA-Archery] Bowstring question

  • Chrystie Terry
    Message 1 of 81 , Dec 28, 2010
      You can definitely use the flsmish braid bowstring.  I know not all marshals are familiar with them so you might want to check with the individual marshal beforehand.

      On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Dearg Ailfredsson <deargailfredsson@...> wrote:

      I have a new long bow with a Flemish braid bowstring that I have used for hunting
      but not shot at an event yet
      can I use that bowstring at events or do I need to get a new one

      Dearg.

      Lord Dearg Ailfredsson
      [dare-eg ale-frid-son]
      "Red son of Alfred"
      11th century Gall Gaidhel [gall guy-yell]
      a.k.a. "Irish Northman"
      Leather Craftsman, Archer and Hunter
      Paid SCA member since 2003

      --
      Teresa "of the wrong way" Giani

      Fortune Cookie Say-
      If a true sense of value is to be yours it must come through Service.
    • Jonathas
      Message 81 of 81 , Dec 20, 2013
        An actual soda can is 2.5" diameter by 5.5" tall. The reason I did not use pool noodles is that they are far from consistent in diameter and also they are a very geographically seasonal item.  Between these two reasons it would make it difficult for everyone to find them at the same time and in the same size.  So, I went with the 3"x3" squares of 1" thick foam board that can always be found.

        Sorry about the confusion with the bonus, I was trying to play the numbers so the bonus would help but would not run the obscure the score.

        Not sure how to fix the 10 arrow problem on this shoot.  I was trying to get 2 hits per can plus a few spare arrows.  Fewer cans didn't seem right as that would make a low scoring shoot have even more ties.  For those with too few arrows I guess they could shoot the un-timed ends as two ends of 2 cans each (5 arrows per end), and for the timed end borrow arrows from a friend, then lend their arrows to the friend to shoot the timed end as a second line of archers.

        I've updated the rules for this shoot to help clear them up some, I hope.
        http://www.scores-sca.org/public/scores_rules.php?R=25&Shoot=213

        Jonathas

        On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM, <staltus2@...> wrote:

        Jonathas,

        got some questions on the Pop Cans shoot. 3"x6" seems a bit big, but that is fine. For scoring can you hit the same can multiple times in one end? I guess what I am asking is, it the max score for an untimed end 4 or is it 10+ however many double hits you could muster

        For the timed end, you list 80 minus the time, but your sample is 90. If you can only score once per can, then shouldn't the timer cut off when you fire your 10th arrow or hit the 4th can? If you can score a can more than once then the 10 arrows makes more sense.

        I suspect Johanna's point on 10 arrows will come into play on this as well.

        I really like the idea on this shoot, I would consider using the larger pool noodle instead of squares of foam so you are shooting at cylinders, but it looks like a fun shoot either way.