Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Quiver designs

  • Alexandre Saint Pierre
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2010
      I've made a couple quivers that use two belt loops sewed into a stiff leather backing that the quiver is then sewn to. No period reference for doing it this way. The two stiff belt loops means it doesn't flop around when walking, and stays in place for timed ends.

      This does require either a second belt kept with the quiver, or taking off my belt to thread the quiver on for a trip to the range. However, there's no reason the belt loops couldn't have some form of closures on the front (buckles, a loop and sturdy button, etc.) to allow it to be put on without having to mess with the belt itself. The loops could each have a ring on the top with an S-clip or tankard strap for that matter.

      -Alexandre

      On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:19 PM, The Greys <cogworks@...> wrote:
      What I love about this forum is the cross fertilization of ideas.  Funny how I never thought of hanging a side quiver other than bringing the two straps together in a ring.  The ring then hangs from an S clip (not the least period) or a tankard strap.  I can see where Mark's suggestion of afixing the hanger straps to a belt could help to stabilize the quiver.  I'll have to try that.  Of course then the real question becomes, what color to make the belt?  You know it JUST HAS to match my garb for the day.  HEY!  I could make a whole bunch of quivers for each outfit.  (My wife would kill me.......)  But good idea Mark!

      cog

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Cipra" <cipram@...> wrote:

      > It sounds like your belt quiver has a loop which fits over whatever belt
      > you're wearing that day? It's unlikely to be a period design, but you might
      > consider devoting a belt to the cause and fixing the quiver to it
      > permanantly at two points, angled how you like to draw from it. Mine does
      > require a bit of attention while strolling about, but not as much as if it
      > was swinging free. I also have enough extra belt at the end that I added a
      > few extra holes and can rebuckle it a foot or so further along and sling it
      > over my shoulder.
      >

      > Llywelyn Glyndwr (Mark Cipra)

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional