Re: Historical quiver construction

  • The Greys
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 7, 2010
      Ian,
      Your comment was "vertically along the lower back". Given that as written I don't think it would work as the lower half of the quiver would be hitting the saddle. Now if you meant horizontally that could work as the quiver would be laying crosswise to the saddle with the fletches sticking out one side for easy access. But that also brings up another point about quivers. Pictures of an actual Mongol style quivers that I have seen have arrow loops inside them. That is, each loop holds one arrow snugly inside the quiver. If one were actually fighting from horse back this would help to keep the arrows from bouncing out of the quiver. I made a quiver like this and it works very well while not making it any more difficult to extract an arrow from the quiver. The "challenge" is putting the arrows in the quiver one loop at a time.

      As for having the quiver on the bow arm side, I have seen that as well. It seems ackward to me but I've seen folks do it and do it well. The most unusual method I've ever seen was one fellow at Pennsic. He used a back quiver, fairly standard but his method for extracting an arrow and nocking it was unusual. He was a right hand shooter. After shooting a shaft he would sling his bow over his right arm, string to outside, bow limbs to inside. He would then reach through the bow to extract an arrow from his back quiver. As he extracted the arrow he would bring the bow back to the normal shooting position whereupon the arrow would be positioned for nocking. Nock, draw, fire as usual. When I first saw him do it, I thought, why is he only shooting one arrow, as many archers will sling their bow over their shoulder when not shooting. I've tried this technique but all I can say is it would take me a LOT of practice to get it down pat.

      My personal preference for a quiver is a side style. I extract arrows by the nock which allows me to nock them to the string faster as I'm controlling the nock end of the arrow with some degree of precision. Now for going to and fro the range at the big wars, Pennsic in particular, I have found a side quiver most unsuitable! One hand is dedicated to the quiver to prevent it from twisting around between my legs and tripping me and the other hand is dedicated to carrying the bow. Thus I have NO hand free to enjoy my mahrvelous Pennsic ice cream! A condition most unsuitable! Thus I have made what I call my Pennsic quiver. It simply has a back strap so the quiver can be worn/used back style. On the back of the quiver are two straps for tying the bow on for carrying. Everything is on my back and hands are free for the obvious reason stated previously. When I get to the range I take the bow off the quiver and wrap the back strap around the quiver and hang the quiver side style. Oh yeah, and I wipe the last of the Pennsic ice cream from my face before shooting! :-)

      cog
      If you are not having fun, you should be doing something else......