Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Introduction

  • Jeff Elder
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2000
      > A 50#bow is not heavy weight and can be easily pulled by most adult
      >males(and some females) after only a few weeks of practice with it.
      >Once you get to 65# and heavier, it's a whole different story. You
      better
      >be up for it and you had better shoot a lot or that bow will be
      >uncomfortable and you may lose interest in shooting.

      I do understand the stress, and the strength required for the heavier
      bows.
      I have and do fold laundry, now that may not sound like much but it
      does
      wonders for your upper body. An d I am not seeking out heavy bows
      just because, and I know there is work involved at keeping up with
      them.

      >Archers usually bring bows they want to sell and some bargains
      >can be found. You can try garage sales and thrift shops, but if you
      don't
      >know that much about bows, BE VERY CAREFUL! We unfortunately
      >have to fail quite number of these garage sale bargains every year
      at
      >Pennsic because they are unsafe.

      I am a LOT shy about pawn shops and garage sales, to many here with
      split, or twisted limbs. And with out a string to test them, when
      looking
      on many of them I would rather pass. I will also pester a guy at work
      that knows traditional bows very well, about his next gathering.

      >My best to you,
      >Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

      Thank you
      Simon Hondy
      MKA Jeff Elder
      scholari@...
      http://www.chameleon.net/scholari/sca
    • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5 10:30 AM
        Good Gentles, In my response last evening about straightening out limbs
        of bows, I neglected to mention that a whole lot of c clamps with shims
        will be helpful to clamp the bow after it has been wrapped. I've only
        made a couple of bows
        and they have worked out okay. I also mentioned Bingham as a source for
        information and supplies. I have included a text only of their web-page
        below. They can be very helpful to first time bowyers.
        And they provide a step by step guide to building laminated bows which
        can be applied to bow repair. At the least, it will give you a better
        working knowledge of bows and their construction.
        Fondly,
        Geoffrei
        1350 Hinckley Drive, Ogden, Utah 84401-3375
        (801) 399-3470 voice (801) 399-3471 24 hr. fax
        info@...
        Why Not Make
        Your Own Bow?

        With materials and procedures for laminating and shaping traditional
        bows --- all at a very low price.
        Offering Bow Kits and Laminations for Building Recurves, Take-Down
        Recurves, Longbows, Take-Down Longbows, Youth Take-Down Recurves, and
        Youth Longbows.

        Fully Illustrated Instructions, full-size Blueprints & Instructional
        Videos for the Recurve,Take-Down Recurve & Longbow, Take-Down Longbow,
        and Youth Bows. Video Formatting in NTSC (North America), Pal & Secam
        Limb Core Laminations - Tapers & Parallels in Coreflex/Super Action
        Maple (natural, brown, gray & green mtn. camo), Red Elm (flat and edge
        grain), Osage, Walnut, Hard Rock Maple, Zebra, & Tonken Cane Bamboo
        (natural and tempered)
        Laminated Coreflex/Superaction Maple, Riser Kits, & Solid Block Risers
        to match or contrast Limb Lamination woods

        Laminating Press Kits
        Laminating Press Heat Strip Systems
        Epoxy Glues - Epon/Versamid & Smooth-On
        Phenolic (Linen) in Colors
        Rose City Archery Premium Port Orford Cedar Shafts
        Bow Accessories & Related Supplies
        QUANTITY PRICING AVAILABLE
        --New & Reduced 100 & 200 Piece Pricing

      • Brad Boda d'Aylward
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7 3:24 PM
          greytaylor@... wrote:

          > Good gravy, Lad!
          >
          > Before you consign a bow to a bandsaw let me make you an offer for
          > it. I guarantee to be a responsible adult, be careful, and not hold
          > you to blame if I hurt myself. But don't be cutting a bow up into
          > little pieces!
          >
          > Taillear

          I'll bear you in mind the next time I see a poor piece of equipment like I'd seen that
          day. Geoffrei's post is a good incentive to try saving the next one I see. Didn't know
          how before this. I had no experience and no info on how to save the thing so......
          sorry.

          Boy, you learn all sorts of things on this list.

          Brad