Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: A couple questions..

  • Dan Scheid
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 1, 2010
      something to remember  these are DRAWINGS not pictures. they are one( or more then one) artists interpretation of events. they may have or have not been there.  artistic license  takes on a whole new meaning
      Damales

      On 12/1/2010 10:05 AM, warbow67 wrote:

      I agree completely. Makes me reconsider how I should make one myself.

      But it is common sense. In the 18th century during the American Revolution the British army uniforms underwent a period of change, and it is well documented that many soldiers wore they waistbelts with bayonets slung over their shoulder and across their chest before shoulder slings became standard issue.

      The Bayeux Tapestry is a goldmine of candid information, that pic I described has all four archers dressed differently and very individualistic. It makes sense that on campaign warriors would wear their equipment as it felt best to them individually. Plus as a waistbelt mounted quiver you can see that this archer has to sling it over both shoulders and across his chest as there is no other way to keep the quiver itself up that high, it would slide down his back if he just slung it over one shoulder. A second archer has his quiver at his waist but the belt goes over one shoulder. This tells me they are are attached to the belts on a sliding loop.

      Very interesting. And I will try to upload the picture.

      Dave H

      ---------------------------------

      > warbow67 wrote:
      > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carolus <eulenhorst@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> No, no back quivers. I have given up trying to find them in period.
      > >>

      > >> Carolus

      > > Have you looked at the Bayeux Tapestry? I have a picture of one scene with four (Brittany?) archers all using similar quivers but in different positions. One has his on a belt slung around both shoulders and across his chest. Another one looks like he has his slung over one shoulder but hanging low behind his back, a little higher than if it hung from his waist. They look like basic tube quivers but are colored brightly suggesting to me either cloth covered or richly dyed leather construction.
      > >
      > > Dave H

      No virus found in this message.
      Internal Virus Database is out of date.