Re: Otzi and his bow

  • Dan Stratton
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2010
      If I recall Otzi's bow description - it was heartwood yew, round - not D shaped, no riser, no nocks. Definitely not what became the longbow in the Middle Ages, but a yew bow never the less.
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
      Midrealm Forester - OP
      "- bows of carved wood strong for use, with well-seasoned strings of hemp, and arrows sharp-pointed whizzing in flight."
    • James W
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2010
        Many of the bows from the Mary Rose are round or ovoid and not a perfect D.

        The D became a standard of the British Long Bow Society but medieval bows as evidenced by artifacts did not conform to the standards of the BLBS.

        James