Re: BAD ARCHERY

  • James W
    Message 1 of 44 , Nov 27, 2010
      Okay, I have to pick on Lord of the Rings as well but not for archery technique but for archery tactics during battle.

      So we have the good guys hunkered down at Helms Deep in the second movie. A massive army of Orcs have formed their lines. Strider has both human archers and those incredibly talented elf archers at his command.

      With the Orcs a good distance away and standing still, one human archer draws his bow back and lets loose. Result - one dead orc.

      What does this tell us. The Orcs are within the killing range of the archers. What does Strider do?

      He chews out the archer. No, no, we are supposed to wait until they are within clear the bow range.

      Strider is supposed to be a great military leader. My God, man, archers are artillery not infantry. Lay down an arrow storm on that front line that is going to give you a wall of dead orcs in the front that other orcs have to crawl over to get to you. Come on now, a regular human archer, could hit them. Imagine what the elves are going to be doing.

      Of course, Strider had to disappoint me again in the last movie when at the gates of Morder, his strategy is just let them open the gates fully, swarm out, and surround his army. No, no, no. Jam that door someway so that it can only open two or three orcs wide. Fight them at the door.

      But I still enjoyed the movies.

      Cheers, James
    • Karl W. Evoy
      Message 44 of 44 , Jun 27, 2013

        The striking piece is the steel in flint and steel. It's use as a badge started with Phillip the Good (IIRC).
        Ancel