Archery

  • elwin@one.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2000
      Well said Jim
      Elwin
    • balthazar_of_southdowns
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 24, 2002
        Hi everyone,

        I'm interested in starting target archery (not in the SCA
        yet, just for fun) however I am thinking that if I'm going to start
        it and end up doing it in the SCA I might as well learn it to society
        standards. I have looked on the website and found the PDF file
        listing the rules. Does anyone have a webpage that tells how to make
        an SCA approved (in looks and functionality (sp)) Bow and Arrows? I
        have a bow, but I don't think it will work all that great, it's old
        and looks to be made of plastic.

        Thanks in advance,
        Balthazar
      • Carl West
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 25, 2002
          balthazar_of_southdowns wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I'm interested in starting target archery (not in the SCA
          > yet, just for fun)

          You ought to be able to do it in the SCA 'just for fun'. If the SCA archers aren't having fun, they're screwing up. And you'll also get to do it safely.

          If you take your plastic bow (many shoot with plastic bows in the SCA) to an SCA practice (not an event) and say, "Hi, I'm a clueless novice, who should I talk to?" Then go to that person (they'll probably be busy) and wait your turn and say "Hi, I'm a complete novice, this is what I've got for a bow. What do I need to do to shoot safely here?" He or she will probably set you aside until they've handled a few more issues that can be solved quickly, then they'll talk with you.

          You'll end up with at least as much help as you need, and it'll be better and more specific than any web site could ever be.

          -- Fritz

          --
          Carl West eisen@...
          http://people.ne.mediaone.net/eisen

          "Everyone generalizes from a single case. I do it."
          - Vlad Taltos in _Issola_ by Steven Brust
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 25, 2002
            --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Carl West <eisen@m...> wrote:
            > If you take your plastic bow (many shoot with plastic bows in the
            SCA) to an SCA practice (not an event) and say, "Hi, I'm a clueless
            novice, who should I talk to?" Then go to that person (they'll
            probably be busy) and wait your turn and say "Hi, I'm a complete
            novice, this is what I've got for a bow. What do I need to do to
            shoot safely here?" He or she will probably set you aside until
            they've handled a few more issues that can be solved quickly, then
            they'll talk with you.

            > You'll end up with at least as much help as you need, and it'll be
            better and more specific than any web site could ever be.

            I would second this advice with a query as to where Balthazar hails
            from: possibly we can help him find out who he can contact locally.

            Balthazar, if your equipment turns out not to be appropriate, your
            local archery marshal may have loaner gear available to start you off
            at your first practice, as well as advice on how to choose equipment
            for yourself. He/she may be able to help you build your own set of
            arrows (requires some specialized tools, but if you can operate a
            tube of toothpaste, you can make functional arrows). Bow making is a
            more complex science - one which this writer dares not attempt
            herself.

            Welcome to the SCA. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot
            of extremely knowledgeable folks on this list to trade information
            with.

            Jehanne de Wodeford, Danegeld Tor (West)
          • MCARTHUR JAMES
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 25, 2002
              Yes, Balthazar: I doubt that you'll find many archers
              who are reluctant to talk about their equipment!
              (Don't interrupt them when they're competing, though)

              I just got started also; I started with a $29.95
              Indian fiberglass bow, and fiberglass arrows with
              plastic vanes; am gettinb so I can hit the target
              (more often than I miss; at 20 yards, anyway), so am
              moving up to a traditional wooden English longbow,
              from Baron bows. My Indian was supposedly 25-30 #, was
              actually about 37 #. My longbow is supposed to be in
              the 30-35 # range. (Still need to get some wooden
              arrows, with real fletching; can any recommend a good
              source?)

              William MacArthur

              http://sports.yahoo.com
            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 26, 2002
                --- In SCA-Archery@y..., MCARTHUR JAMES <jmmcart@y...> wrote:
                > Yes, Balthazar: I doubt that you'll find many archers
                > who are reluctant to talk about their equipment!
                > (Don't interrupt them when they're competing, though)
                >
                > I just got started also; I started with a $29.95
                > Indian fiberglass bow, and fiberglass arrows with
                > plastic vanes; am gettinb so I can hit the target
                > (more often than I miss; at 20 yards, anyway), so am
                > moving up to a traditional wooden English longbow,
                > from Baron bows. My Indian was supposedly 25-30 #, was
                > actually about 37 #. My longbow is supposed to be in
                > the 30-35 # range. (Still need to get some wooden
                > arrows, with real fletching; can any recommend a good
                > source?)

                Have a look at http://www.bowsite2.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?
                &DID=15&Product_ID=2759&CATID=69 for the readymade arrows sold by
                Three Rivers Archery. (Their main website is at
                www.3riversarchery.com.)

                If you shop at Pennsic, I've heard very good things about Kingslayer
                Armories.

                Perhaps some of our other members can suggest sources for arrows.

                Jehanne de Wodeford
              • Scott L Hecathorn
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 26, 2002
                  > (Don't interrupt them when they're competing, though)
                  This isn't necessarily true, I've had many a good conversations during a
                  shoot, the funniest was with the MIC during a timed round.

                  Robert
                  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                  http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                • Ardal Of Antioch
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 26, 2002

                    >Have a look at http://www.bowsite2.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?
                    >&DID=15&Product_ID=2759&CATID=69 for the readymade arrows sold by
                    >Three Rivers Archery. (Their main website is at
                    >www.3riversarchery.com.)
                    >
                    >If you shop at Pennsic, I've heard very good things about Kingslayer
                    >Armories.
                    >
                    >Perhaps some of our other members can suggest sources for arrows.
                    >
                    >Jehanne de Wodeford

                    Greetings all,
                    I can chime in here, I get my stuff from Meric Archery, he's usually at war,
                    and on-line. I usually get the stuff to make my own arrows, but he does
                    carry ready made arrows as well.

                    Ardal
                    Archery Captain of the Shire of Hartstone

                    It may take a village to raise a child, but it takes a Viking to raze a
                    village.

                  • Tifa
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 11, 2010
                      Which is the best bow to use for a tournment?
                    • Mike Gideon
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 11, 2010
                        the one you've practiced with

                        Michel

                        Which is the best bow to use for a tournment?

                      • Bill Tait
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 11, 2010
                          That is the best answer to a very vague question.

                          William Arwemakere

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 14, 2010
                            Short answer... wooden recurve 30 pounds or less to start. I prefer old Bear and Hoyt target bows from the 60's (tons of deals on ebay), but modern manufacture hunting recurves are fine if you have the funds.

                            Stay away from cheap selfbows and the like. Most are horribly inefficient and have terrible cast. Also english longbows and horsebows are more difficult to shoot with consistiency because they lack an arrow shelf. Though they may be easier to shoot quickly . YRMV.

                            Cedar arrows are relatively heavy so in order to shoot flater people tend to higher poundage, this can have a serious negative effect on form. Most FITA and Olympic recurve shooters stay under 45 pounds. 35-40 is typically tops for women.