feathers

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2010
      I have an aversion to buying store-bought eggs.  it's mostly a moral issue though the health ones come into being as well.

      So I found awoman who raises chickens, ducks and geese on her munti-acres of lans.
      I buy eggs from her and we trade fish-pond fish and plants, etc.

      So it ocurred to me that if she has geese, she had geese wing feathers!
      And geese wing feathers make quill-pens and arrow fletching!

      So i called her up and asked ehr to save me the wing feathers which I will be getting for free.

      I have already figured out how to modify my arrow-nock jig into a feather stripper jig.  But am also working on how to cutthe feathers to a uniform shape and size.

      Some people cut them witha red-hot wire.
      I am thinking of a spring-clamp that I will cut the the exact shape and size.  Then I put the feather in the clamp and cut it with scissors.

      Anyone have any ideas and thoughts?

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2010
        You can get a feather cutter or burner (or make one yourself) from most archery suppliers.

        Feather shapers in multiple sizes and shapes:
        http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=4398X

        I have one of those, just bang it with a rubber mallet.

        Christina

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2010
            I agree on the Little Chopper. I've used multiple ones with different
            profiles for a long time and love them.

            Siegfried

            On 11/3/10 1:31 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:

            > Little Chopper.
            >
            > -EA

          • David Keil
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2010
              Agreed as well, with the exception of getting a true traditional shape.

              For those I lay them against a strip of clear packing tape to keep the feather in place and tape it to a cutting board.  Then lay a ruler down at the length and angle desired and cut it with an X-acto knife.  Peel the tape off going with the grain and voila!

              Picked that trick up off the Longbow Series Part One dvd.

              Evrard de Valogne
              An Tir

              On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Siegfried <siegfried@...> wrote:
              I agree on the Little Chopper.  I've used multiple ones with different
              profiles for a long time and love them.

              Siegfried

              On 11/3/10 1:31 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:

              > Little Chopper.
              >
              > -EA

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • James W
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2010
                If you don't go the feather chopping routine, you can try the following format that I use to get fletching in the 6" - 6 1/2" size.

                Cut the split feathers to a uniform size. Pay attention to the thickness of the rib/vane. You want to try to make it as uniform between each one as possible. With turkey feathers I only get one fletching from a full length feather.

                With sandpaper or a penknife, taper the front end.

                Fletch the arrow with the feathers using a standard fletching jig. It will look like a flu-flu at this point.

                From the plastic of an ice cream pail lid, cut the fletching shape you want. This will be your template. Using a 1" wide masking tape, lay a strip down on each feather. Place your template on the tape and trace it on to the masking tape. Use your favourite scissors and cut along your traced line. Carefully remove the masking tape using the knap of the feathers.

                Check your taper up front again. This is something you should do even if you use a feather chopper. I like a smooth taper which will make it easier when a I do a thread wrap on the feather.

                Have fun,
                James

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

                > I have an aversion to buying store-bought eggs. it's mostly a moral issue
                > though the health ones come into being as well.
                >
                > So I found awoman who raises chickens, ducks and geese on her munti-acres of
                > lans.
                > I buy eggs from her and we trade fish-pond fish and plants, etc.
                >
                > So it ocurred to me that if she has geese, she had geese wing feathers!
                > And geese wing feathers make quill-pens and arrow fletching!
                >
                > So i called her up and asked ehr to save me the wing feathers which I will
                > be getting for free.
                >
                > I have already figured out how to modify my arrow-nock jig into a feather
                > stripper jig. But am also working on how to cutthe feathers to a uniform
                > shape and size.
                >
                > Some people cut them witha red-hot wire.
                > I am thinking of a spring-clamp that I will cut the the exact shape and
                > size. Then I put the feather in the clamp and cut it with scissors.
                >
                > Anyone have any ideas and thoughts?
                >

                > --
                > Rick Johnson
                > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
                > "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
                > will soon find that they have neither."

              • Taslen
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2010
                  Uhm just what is the "longbow series"?

                  Gaelen O'Grady

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 3, 2010
                    "The Longbow Series" is three dvd's (thus far, not sure of plans for more.) by SAS Media Productions.
                    "The complete guide to bowyery, fletching, arrowsmithing and shooting a warbow."

                    All three dvd are available from 3riversarchery.com.

                    What they do is show how the items were crafted in period and then how to do it with modern tools.

                    Evrard de Valogne
                    An Tir