Re: My Longbow

  • James W
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
      You could use a cherry wood wedge stuck into a stiched on leather grip. That way you could remove it if you ever wanted to go to shooting off the knuckle.

      Another rest you can use that is dead simple to make is the Ferret Floppy Arrow Rest. Ferret is the nickname of Mickey Lotz, a bowyer who used to have some great buildalongs on the old MSN community. All gone now, unfortunately.

      Still I can google Ferret Floppy Arrow Rest and get his plans if I select images but if I go to the page, the picture doesn't display properly. I can only see it clearly from the google search.

      It is just strip of leather about two inches folded to give you a rest.

      *
      *
      *
      *****
      *****
      *
      *
      *

      That is pretty much it. You fold in the middle and then fold out some wing. You can attach this with glue or with doublesided tape if you want to remove it later.

      In Service,
      James Wolfden

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "rickj" <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

      > It's all finished save i cannot wrap the handle until I made an arrow-rest.
      > Still looking for ideas and designs I like.
      >
      > I found a chicken leg-bone I am thinking of carving but...
      > Maybe a piece of cherry wood?
      >
      > (arrow)
      > *******
      > ******
      > ***
      > **
      > **
      > *
      > *
      > *
      >
      > something likethis with the bottom under the wrap to leave a shelf????

    • Lord Alester MacClansy
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
        Sure....uh
        My bow is flat faced with a curved belly
        So from front to back it looks like
        Looking down from the top
        _____
        ____(
        ___(
        __(
        The curves being linear of course....you wanna make sure your rest accomodates the flat to curved aspect of the front to belly curve.
        BUt I think you have a handle on the general shape. I have a cut rest if you contact me off list at klancey1@... I can mail it to you. Also period shelves are documentable..
        IS
        Klancey
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, richard johnson <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

        > >>Make sure to curve the attaching part to compensate for the curve of the
        > bow.
        >
        > I don;t understand.
        > The arrow rest is on the handle that does not bend.
        > Can you illustrate?
        >

        > On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Lord Alester MacClansy <klancey1@...>wrote:
        >

        > > I made a rest out of a piece of oak on a bandsaw and belt sander. I then
        > > drilled 2 small holes in it and glued it, then tied it on for effect. Works
        > > well and very simple to make. Make sure to curve the attaching part to
        > > compensate for the curve of the bow.
        > >
        > > Klancey
        > >
        > --
        > Rick Johnson
        > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        > "Those who give up a little freedom in return for a little imagined security
        > will soon find that they have neither."

      • James W
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2010
          I have never seen any documentation for period shelves. What documentation are you using? Is it late in period? What culture? (And, even better, is there a copy of the web?)

          I have heard references that Ascham mentions using cork in the handle wrap but that is certainly not in Toxophilus. I haven't read the other Ascham material cover to cover but I am still searching for that cork reference.

          In Service,
          James