Re: [SCA-Archery] my longbow

  • Duncan Sinclair
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
      Pictures?

      --- On Mon, 11/1/10, rickj <rikjohnson39@...> wrote:

      From: rickj <rikjohnson39@...>
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] my longbow
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, November 1, 2010, 8:21 PM

      My longbow is finished!

      The hardest part was to go slow and take my time.
      Fortunatly, I had a bunch of other projects i could do between jobs like...
      ....sand bow
      ........make arrow measure jig.
      ....stain bow
      ........make bow bag
      ....resand bow
      ........make nock jig
      ....restain bow.
      ........blah blah blah

      So Shea is coming over tonight so I can shape her handle (I know, a belt sander is not Period but it does a better job than a rasp) to fit and the only thing left for my Longbow is to make an arrow rest and wrap the handle.

      Looking over the pics, most people shoot off their thumb but really, how about an arrow-rest? I've done that with other (really bad) bows I made and got tired of feather-burn.
      All my other bows (take down and recurves, have the standard shelf carved out of the handle but this is a primitive handle so there isn't room for that.

      I NEED to add a shelf.

      Any ideas and thoughts?
      Examples of how you did it?

    • richard johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
        lots!

        <G>I left them at home.. the entire proceedure was filmed so will post them, hopefully tomorrow!

        Pictures?

        --
        Rick Johnson
        http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
          Rickj
          I caught of quick glimpse of a trailer for Costner's
          'Robin Hood' & I think he had on a finger/thumb tipless
          tight glove? To prevent feather-burn?
          Ranif

          On 2/11/2010 7:21 AM, rickj wrote:
          > Looking over the pics, most people shoot off their thumb
          > but really, how about an arrow-rest? I've done that with
          > other (really bad) bows I made and got tired of feather-burn.

          -32.656072 149.840624