Re: [SCA-Archery] my longbow

  • Guy Taylor
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
      If the bow is not designed for it I would not recommend cutting into the riser to make a rest.
      However, it is easy to add one without doing that.
      Glue a couple pieces of thick leather together and shape them so the top is a narrow arrow rest and the bottom tapers out. Use contact cement to glue that to the side of the bow in the appropriate place and then make a leather handle wrap that goes over the rest.
      The rest needn't be very wide. With proper technique the arrow won't fall off when you draw and loose. But it will locate the arrow the same for each shot and it will save your hand from the feathers.

      Guy
      Greenman Archery

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
        Pictures?

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
          lots!

          <G>I left them at home.. the entire proceedure was filmed so will post them, hopefully tomorrow!

          Pictures?

          --
          Rick Johnson
          http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2010
            Rickj
            I caught of quick glimpse of a trailer for Costner's
            'Robin Hood' & I think he had on a finger/thumb tipless
            tight glove? To prevent feather-burn?
            Ranif

            On 2/11/2010 7:21 AM, rickj wrote:
            > Looking over the pics, most people shoot off their thumb
            > but really, how about an arrow-rest? I've done that with
            > other (really bad) bows I made and got tired of feather-burn.

            -32.656072 149.840624