Re: [SCA-Archery] my new longbow

  • Taslen
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010

      From: Nicholas Calabria <ncalabria88@...>
      To: Archery SCA <sca-archery@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sun, October 31, 2010 8:24:35 PM
      Subject: RE: [SCA-Archery] my new longbow

      Great to hear this process and the enthusiasm that goes with it.  Thanks.
      Anselm

      > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      > From: rikjohnson39@...
      > Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:07:37 -0700
      > Subject: [SCA-Archery] my new longbow
      >
      > My You-finish-it Longbow from GI-Bows arrived yesterday.
      >
      > Now I expected to do some work but a 6’ piece of 2x3 and instructions
      > to get a draw-knife and sandpaper????
      >
      > Joking! Kostya left a 2x3 on my porch because he knows I collect
      > lumber for various projects. And seeing it there as I came home gave
      > me hope!
      >
      > But the Bows DID arrive yesterday, both mine ad Shea’s, about 15
      > minutes after she left for home! And they are beautiful works! I got
      > the 72" (because I am 5’11 ½") for me and the shorter 64" for Shea
      > (who is 5’ nothing) and wanted to get to work RIGHT NOW!!!
      >
      > Unfortunatly I was in the middle of sewing a werewolf costume for a
      > Halloween Party (I was going as Kibikichi, the Samurai Werewolf so I
      > could wear a kimono I had made and carry my Cold Steel Warrior Katana
      > and because I bought a new werewolf mash at a yard sale that morning.
      > So the bow had to wait.
      >
      > Woke up early (I don’t suffer hangovers), grabbed my bow and rasp and….
      > Stopped!
      > I ruin more projects by rushing in so I se the bow down and sewed a
      > bow-bag (the sewing machine was still out) with attached string bag
      > while I thought about it.
      > Then I set up my belt sander with 1" belt @ 120 grit and slowly
      > worked the handle until it was comfortable, then dropped it a bit more
      > for the covering. Did not trust myself with a rasp!
      > STOP!
      > Walked away and made an arrow nock-jig so I could think about the next step.
      > Headed down
      to Ace Hardware to get some stain and sealer, then halfway
      > home, turned around to get a 4’ dowel. Couldn’t find balk or green so
      > settled for dark mahogony as a base and red cherry for highlights!
      > Stained the bow on my kayak rack. Seems the saddles I mounted on my
      > kayak trailer as perfect to hold the bow as I stained it and as it
      > dries! Satin and wipe, stain and wipe…
      > STOP! Let it dry.
      > I tested my arrow nocking jig on the dowel to cut a nock. Then set it
      > on the ironing board with my carpenters measure and measuring from the
      > bottom of the nock, I marked the dowel in 1" incriments from 22" to
      > 44". Now I can draw the dowel as if it were an rrow, have someone
      > read the mark at the rest and I can eaily know exactly what length if
      > arrow I need to buy for that bow!
      > Check the bow!
      > Still not fully dry! In Arizona no less!
      > Don’t rush, take
      time, write letter to GI-Bows to thank him for the
      > bow and show daughter both bows so I know which size to buy her.
      > Is it ready for first sanding? Go to check.
      >

      > --
      > Rick Johnson
      > http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID
      required)

      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > SCA-Archery-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      I have started a long bow from scratch and it's rather daunting to say the least, can you post a link to where you got your  do it yourself bow from?

      Gaelen O'Grady

    • BeckiG
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2010
        I enjoyed reading about the bow process, buuut....I want to see a photo of that Samurai Werewolf!! Lol.

        -Rebecca