my new longbow

  • richard johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010
      My You-finish-it Longbow from GI-Bows arrived yesterday.

      Now I expected to do some work but a 6’ piece of 2x3 and instructions
      to get a draw-knife and sandpaper????

      Joking! Kostya left a 2x3 on my porch because he knows I collect
      lumber for various projects. And seeing it there as I came home gave
      me hope!

      But the Bows DID arrive yesterday, both mine ad Shea’s, about 15
      minutes after she left for home! And they are beautiful works! I got
      the 72" (because I am 5’11 ½") for me and the shorter 64" for Shea
      (who is 5’ nothing) and wanted to get to work RIGHT NOW!!!

      Unfortunatly I was in the middle of sewing a werewolf costume for a
      Halloween Party (I was going as Kibikichi, the Samurai Werewolf so I
      could wear a kimono I had made and carry my Cold Steel Warrior Katana
      and because I bought a new werewolf mash at a yard sale that morning.
      So the bow had to wait.

      Woke up early (I don’t suffer hangovers), grabbed my bow and rasp and….
      Stopped!
      I ruin more projects by rushing in so I se the bow down and sewed a
      bow-bag (the sewing machine was still out) with attached string bag
      while I thought about it.
      Then I set up my belt sander with 1" belt @ 120 grit and slowly
      worked the handle until it was comfortable, then dropped it a bit more
      for the covering. Did not trust myself with a rasp!
      STOP!
      Walked away and made an arrow nock-jig so I could think about the next step.
      Headed down to Ace Hardware to get some stain and sealer, then halfway
      home, turned around to get a 4’ dowel. Couldn’t find balk or green so
      settled for dark mahogony as a base and red cherry for highlights!
      Stained the bow on my kayak rack. Seems the saddles I mounted on my
      kayak trailer as perfect to hold the bow as I stained it and as it
      dries! Satin and wipe, stain and wipe…
      STOP! Let it dry.
      I tested my arrow nocking jig on the dowel to cut a nock. Then set it
      on the ironing board with my carpenters measure and measuring from the
      bottom of the nock, I marked the dowel in 1" incriments from 22" to
      44". Now I can draw the dowel as if it were an rrow, have someone
      read the mark at the rest and I can eaily know exactly what length if
      arrow I need to buy for that bow!
      Check the bow!
      Still not fully dry! In Arizona no less!
      Don’t rush, take time, write letter to GI-Bows to thank him for the
      bow and show daughter both bows so I know which size to buy her.
      Is it ready for first sanding? Go to check.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2010
        Great to hear this process and the enthusiasm that goes with it.  Thanks.
        Anselm

      • Taslen
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010

> [...]

          > Stained the bow on my kayak rack. Seems the saddles I mounted on my
          > kayak trailer as perfect to hold the bow as I stained it and as it
          > dries! Satin and wipe, stain and wipe…
          > STOP! Let it dry.
          > I tested my arrow nocking jig on the dowel to cut a nock. Then set it
          > on the ironing board with my carpenters measure and measuring from the
          > bottom of the nock, I marked the dowel in 1" incriments from 22" to
          > 44". Now I can draw the dowel as if it were an rrow, have someone
          > read the mark at the rest and I can eaily know exactly what length if
          > arrow I need to buy for that bow!
          > Check the bow!
          > Still not fully dry! In Arizona no less!
          > Don’t rush, take
          time, write letter to GI-Bows to thank him for the
          > bow and show daughter both bows so I know which size to buy her.
          > Is it ready for first sanding? Go to check.

          I have started a long bow from scratch and it's rather daunting to say the least, can you post a link to where you got your  do it yourself bow from?

          Gaelen O'Grady

        • BeckiG
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2010
            I enjoyed reading about the bow process, buuut....I want to see a photo of that Samurai Werewolf!! Lol.

            -Rebecca