Re: Introduction

  • Jeff Webb
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 26, 2000
      I am new to the list but many of you know me. I am responding to thegentle that is interested in acquiring a "heavy weight bow". A 50#bow is not heavy weight and can be easily pulled by most adultmales(and some females) after only a few weeks of practice with it.Once you get to 65# and heavier, it's a whole different story. Youbetter be up for it and you had better shoot a lot or that bow willbe uncomfortable and you may lose interest in shooting. I shoot heavybows, between 70-85# longbows and I shoot two to three times a weekall year round and I've been doing it for a long time.My heaviest bows are traditional english longbows,and they are actually easier to draw because of their length (over72"). With the British Longbow Society, I now shoot a 72" bow 60#@28"and it feels like a child's bow to me, but for SCA archery, Ishoot a Herb Meland "Pronghorn" 60" 70#@28" with fast flight stringand I'm getting 200+fps with 675gr arrows. When you are competing foryour kingdom against other modern style recurves and longbows, to saynothing of sighted crossbows, you don't need the added handicap of atempermental period longbow. But on a personal level, I find them awhole lot of fun to shoot. And my goal this year is to try tore-acheive my Grand Master Bowman rank using only a period lngbow andself-nocked arrows. But for shoots where it counts, such as theChampions shoot and for hunting, it's the Pronghorn.Try a lot of bows and see what you are comfortable with. The ML-14 isan excellent bow, very much like a Howard Hill bow,it has a lot ofhandshock, but it's well made and servicable. If any of you are looking for good buys on good bows, the onething that I can rccommend are any of the traditional archeryrendevous, such as the one in northern central PA at Denton Hill inthe end of July.or try one of the local archery field clubs when they are having atournament. Archers usually bring bows they want to sell and somebargains can be found. You can try garage sales and thrift shops, butif you don't know that much about bows, BE VERY CAREFUL! Weunfortunately have to fail quite number of these garage salebargains every year at Pennsicbecause they are unsafe. Sorry this is so long. I'll curb myself in the future.My best to you,Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood
    • Mary
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 21 3:32 PM
        Good Evening!

        My family hails from Atlantia, barony of Marinus. When looking for
        an activity within the SCA that we could all do, target archery was
        one we all had an interest in. So far, we have been able to get
        target archery interest back up a bit in our barony and are looking
        forward to local events that offer this activity.

        Out of the family, my 8yo (almost 9yo) son is the best. He seems to
        have a natural ability to reach the target. Honestly, I can't hit the
        broad side of a barn, but I enjoy trying.

        I look forward to reading the discussions and information on this
        list.

        Have a wonderful evening!

        Francesca di Capua
      • Rob, F
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2004
          Hello,
          I joined about a week ago and thought it was time to introduce
          myself. Im not a member of the SCA yet but have been seriously
          thinking about it. I started shooting recurves in 1986, went to
          selfbows in 89 and been shooting them ever since. Ive always been
          interested in the history of archery and looking to learn more

          Thanks for your time

          Rob
        • Susan Gideon
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
            Greetings,
            Welcome to the list, it's somewhat quite right now but there are some
            interesting discussions.
            Elayne Macduncan
            Baroness of the Eldern Hills

            > I joined about a week ago and thought it was time to introduce
            > myself. Im not a member of the SCA yet but have been seriously
            > thinking about it. I started shooting recurves in 1986, went to
            > selfbows in 89 and been shooting them ever since. Ive always been
            > interested in the history of archery and looking to learn more
            >
            > Thanks for your time
            >
            > Rob

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Kiley Myers
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
              Hi Rob,

              You came to the right place, especially if you also
              like dressing up in "funny" clothes. Actually I really
              enjoy the outfits, wearing them and seeing others in
              them. I'm in Georgia, recently moved from Michigan,
              where we had some really wonderful and incredibly
              knowledgeable archers. I shot my recurve for the first
              time at an event, with borrowed arrows, and got the
              most wonderful private lesson from Nigel. He was very
              patient, and knew so much it was mind boggling. He
              even let me shoot his crossbow, which greatly
              impressed my little boys. Mom is definitely dangerous,
              grin. Those things are very powerful.

              You obviously are way ahead of me, since I'm extremely
              new to all this, but I'm sure you'll also find folks
              who can teach you a lot. Perhaps you can teach us some
              things as well!

              Caileigh

              =====
              Caileigh's Castils
              Artizan Soaps
              It's good clean fun!

              http://vote.yahoo.com
            • Lord Caedmon Wilson
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 11, 2004
                Greetings, Rob. Welcome to the SCA Archery list.

                Have you ever considered shooting a medieval crossbow?

                *grin*

                --
                Lord Caedmon Wilson

                Prowess. Courage. Loyalty. Generosity. Faithful. Courteous. Franchise.
              • spnknffork
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 20, 2005
                  Greetings all,

                  I have just joined the group in hopes of gaining more knowledge in
                  combat and target archery. Both target and combat archery are making a
                  long delayed comeback in my Barony and many of us are eager to findout
                  more. I look forward to many great discussions and stories on archery
                  and archery related topics.

                  Thank you,

                  Lady Godaswintha cognomento Gonza

                  Barony of Bjornsborg

                  Kingdom of Ansteorra
                • Gary Henderson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 29, 2005
                    Greetings to the fine folk of this list. I just discovered this excellent resource and thought I should briefly introduce myself. I am Lord Gwyn CuCymry from the Shire of Silfren Mere ( Rochester MN) in the Kingdom of Northshield. I have been shooting for about the last 4 years mostly with a recurve but I am looking into studying horsebows and their shooting teqnique. Perhaps someone here can help me with a small problem I am having I am in the middle of constructing an late period arrow from scratch but I am having problems with finding documentation. Any help would be grateful
                    Thanks
                    Gwyn

                  • Herr Conrad von Zollern
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 31, 2005
                      Greetings Gwyn,

                      Until the discovery of the Mary Rose in the late 1970s little
                      physical evidence of medieval arrow shafts was known. Although some
                      bows were preserved in various armories their ammunition was largely
                      ignored. Added to this is that an arrow is mostly biodegradable and
                      flammable: the shaft and fletching tend not to survive.

                      Many arrow points have been recovered in various condition, but I am
                      only aware of two medieval arrow shafts to have survived (with the
                      exception of those found on the Mary Rose, which while they
                      are "period" I consider them to be 'post-Medieval').

                      Period arrows really aren't all that common...

                      Two sources:

                      The Chapter House Arrow
                      The Muniment Room and Library
                      Westminster Abbey
                      London, SW1P 3PA

                      The Mary Rose Arrow shafts
                      The Armouries
                      H.M. Tower of London
                      EC3

                      Period books on archery aren't all that common either...

                      Two primary sources are:

                      "The Westminster Abbey Arrow"

                      and

                      Toxophilus, by Robert Aschram.

                      Unless you plan on traveling to Great Britain, the report done on the
                      Westminster Abbey Arrow is probably as good as you are going to get,
                      and it was uploaded into the files section of the group a few years
                      ago (and it is still there, I just checked)...

                      Toxophilus is still in print is some versions, mostly reprinted from
                      the Reverend Dr. Gile's edition of Roger Ascham's complete works...
                      It is full of documentation about what woods were preferred, types of
                      feathers used for fletching, and all sorts of other very useful
                      information...

                      Period art depicting archery isn't uncommon, but what is depicted
                      frequently is not even possible, hense it is much less than
                      even 'probably' accurate...

                      So, you have very few good primary sources, many secondary sources,
                      and a whole bunch of tertiary (or worse) sources...

                      Be warned, there are also a whole bunch of people out there who are
                      self-proclaimed 'experts' that will tell you all sorts of things...

                      Listen politely, then ask them nicely to document their statements...

                      Ich dien,

                      Herr Conrad von Zollern

                      <-----{{{ <-----{{{ <-----{{{ <-----{{{

                      "Gary Henderson" <cucymry@w...> wrote:
                      > Greetings to the fine folk of this list. I just discovered this
                      excellent resource and thought I should briefly introduce myself. I
                      am Lord Gwyn CuCymry from the Shire of Silfren Mere ( Rochester MN)
                      in the Kingdom of Northshield. I have been shooting for about the
                      last 4 years mostly with a recurve but I am looking into studying
                      horsebows and their shooting teqnique. Perhaps someone here can help
                      me with a small problem I am having I am in the middle of
                      constructing an late period arrow from scratch but I am having
                      problems with finding documentation. Any help would be grateful
                      > Thanks
                      > Gwyn
                    • Silwyth Ulfvaldr
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 7, 2007
                        Ves Heil,
                        My name is Silywth Ulfvaldr and I live in the Kingdom of Gleann
                        Abhann. I currently reside in the Shire of Dragoun's Weal but soon
                        shall move to Iron ox. By way of introductions I am lacking a thought
                        of what to put, so just feel free to ask what you will of me.