Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Question about a couple bows

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
      Samick bows tend to be good consistent shooters and a number of them are
      shot in the SCA. They are mid-range Korean bows and while Olympic
      style, not high end enough for use in that venue. I bought one for my
      Lady and it shoots well. I can recommend them.
      Carolus

      warbow67 wrote:
      > I've got my own question about suitable bows. A little over ten years ago I was pretty solid into archery but had to give it up (had to sell the bow). I remember I had a Mahaska longbow, 45# at 28" (but I pull 25" so it was more like 40# real), shedua wood riser and red oak(?) limbs with a purple heartwood inlay. It shot very well.
      >
      > Now I am looking to get back into it all again and I want another longbow. I tried a recurve recently and did well after a decade of not shooting, it was 30# but it felt too light for me, and I remember my old longbow being just slightly too heavy, so I am thinking of going with a 40#/28" (about 35# at 25").
      >
      > I do not have the money for another Makaska or anything else in that range, so I was thinking of a Samick Red Stag at 40#.
      >
      > www.oldbow.com/samick_red_stag_longbow.htm
      >
      > How does this bow fit in with SCA guidlines? And does anyone have any experience with Samick bows? I hear they make olympic competition bows.
      >
      > Dave H.

    • warbow67
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
        Thanks. The specific one in the link, the Samick Red Stag Longbow, is that one acceptable for SCA? I am referring to it's laminated construction and black glassed limbs. It's riser is minimal on the contours and has a narrow shelf, I assume that would inch it closer to acceptable.

        Dave H.

        --------------------------

        > Samick bows tend to be good consistent shooters and a number of them are
        > shot in the SCA. They are mid-range Korean bows and while Olympic
        > style, not high end enough for use in that venue. I bought one for my
        > Lady and it shoots well. I can recommend them.
        > Carolus
        >
        > warbow67 wrote:
        > > I've got my own question about suitable bows. A little over ten years ago I was pretty solid into archery but had to give it up (had to sell the bow). I remember I had a Mahaska longbow, 45# at 28" (but I pull 25" so it was more like 40# real), shedua wood riser and red oak(?) limbs with a purple heartwood inlay. It shot very well.
        > >
        > > Now I am looking to get back into it all again and I want another longbow. I tried a recurve recently and did well after a decade of not shooting, it was 30# but it felt too light for me, and I remember my old longbow being just slightly too heavy, so I am thinking of going with a 40#/28" (about 35# at 25").
        > >
        > > I do not have the money for another Makaska or anything else in that range, so I was thinking of a Samick Red Stag at 40#.
        > >
        > > www.oldbow.com/samick_red_stag_longbow.htm
        > >
        > > How does this bow fit in with SCA guidlines? And does anyone have any experience with Samick bows? I hear they make olympic competition bows.
        > >
        > > Dave H.

      • Bill Tait
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
          Actually, Samick has performed quite well. I just watched S H Park take out the pinhole camera in the X from 70m with a Samick Masters (World Cup 2007 stage 1).

          True that Hoyt has the market share of hardware, followed by Win & Win...

          But back to the bow at hand. Samick does make some good quality stuff.

          William Arwemakere - who's decidedly happy today!!!

          warbow67 wrote:
          > I've got my own question about suitable bows. A little over ten years ago I was pretty solid into archery but had to give it up (had to sell the bow). I remember I had a Mahaska longbow, 45# at 28" (but I pull 25" so it was more like 40# real), shedua wood riser and red oak(?) limbs with a purple heartwood inlay. It shot very well.
          >
          > Now I am looking to get back into it all again and I want another longbow. I tried a recurve recently and did well after a decade of not shooting, it was 30# but it felt too light for me, and I remember my old longbow being just slightly too heavy, so I am thinking of going with a 40#/28" (about 35# at 25").
          >
          > I do not have the money for another Makaska or anything else in that range, so I was thinking of a Samick Red Stag at 40#.
          >
          > www.oldbow.com/samick_red_stag_longbow.htm
          >
          > How does this bow fit in with SCA guidlines? And does anyone have any experience with Samick bows? I hear they make olympic competition bows.
          >
          > Dave H.

        • Carolus
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
            I couldn't get the link to open before but did this time. Sure, this is
            a fine bow for the SCA. It is a classic flatbow design, not really
            qualified for some period competitions but great for most everything
            else. I'd welcome it on my line anytime.
            Carolus