Re: [SCA-Archery] another bow question

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2010
      A Black Widow is a fine bow and a number of archers in the SCA use
      them. They tend to be quite pricey but worth every penny. If you can
      afford it, go for it.
      Carolus

      Se'arl'ait the Seamstress wrote:
      > doing some research I came across a bow called black widow, my question is has any one use this bow and can tell me if it is a good quailty bow and can I use in the sca.
      > thank you Se'arl'ait the seamstress

    • Dan Scheid
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2010

        good bows one of the models is my brothers design.
        Damales

        On 10/16/2010 7:15 PM, Se'arl'ait the Seamstress wrote:

        doing some research I came across a bow called black widow, my question is has any one use this bow and can tell me if it is a good quailty bow and can I use in the sca.
        thank you Se'arl'ait the seamstress

      • Nest verch Tangwistel
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 17, 2010
          I have a black widow, and I know quite a few other people who own them and use them in the SCA. They are a good quality bow. All of the ones they currently make are appropriate for SCA use. I think all the bows they have made in the past are too. They did make an olympic recurve years ago which is pushing the boundries of our club, but I have seen people using those also. The current bows tend to cost around $1000. You can get a good used one for considerably less, and they last for a long time if taken care of.

          Nest

          doing some research I came across a bow called black widow, my question is has any one use this bow and can tell me if it is a good quailty bow and can I use in the sca.
          thank you Se'arl'ait the seamstress

        • matt davis
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 17, 2010
            i shoot a 1966 modle 101 black widow the olympic style that a prior post mentioned. i absolutely love this bow for target shooting....
            69" over all and 32# @28" they last verry well and shoot wonderfully
            dmitrii

            To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            From: wdragonz01@...
            Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 02:15:06 +0000

            doing some research I came across a bow called black widow, my question is has any one use this bow and can tell me if it is a good quailty bow and can I use in the sca.
            thank you Se'arl'ait the seamstress

          • Renny Ridgway
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 17, 2010
              There are several people out there who pick up bows on eBay (knowing what to look for) and other places and pass them on to others with in the group. Depending on your location you could get anyone of them to help you find what you need.

              Two people in or near Wyewood are Evrard deValogne (David Keil) and myself Tristan deVer (Ren Ridgway). Either one of us typically have a few bows on hand to pass along the savings. We both have been bow pushers for a few years now.

              There are few things more satisfying  then seeing a person with a good bow they love to shoot.

              Tristan

              To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              From: wdragonz01@...
              Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 02:15:06 +0000

              doing some research I came across a bow called black widow, my question is has any one use this bow and can tell me if it is a good quailty bow and can I use in the sca.
              thank you Se'arl'ait the seamstress

            • Kevin
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 27, 2010
                For some of us th "Black Widow" line of bows are sort of the "Holy Grail" of bows.It has been my goal to own and shoot one.

                Gaelen O'Grady