Re: [SCA-Archery] Question about a couple bows

  • Michelle Buterbaugh/Davina MacDonald
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010

      Thank you for responding. I really appreciate it. I think I will get a new bow I will check to see what the rules are. If I can do it I might get teh ceapy first and then when I save up I will get the other Black one. I forgot to say colors but the one that has the nobs on front is white. I will still check the rules and with the Archery Marshal in my area. I think it will be cheaper for me to get the bow first and then the sword for Rapier when I have more money.

      Thank you
      Shellie
      Davina MacDonald
      Slàinte mhath!
      Marche of Gwyntarian Barony of Brendoken
      From: Michelle Buterbaugh/Davina MacDonald <mbuter30@...>
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Question about a couple bows
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, October 16, 2010, 9:33 PM

      I was recently up at hunters outlet here in Brimfield OH it used to be Portage Archery its under new ownership or management.

      I found two bows that I like but was wondering if they would be ok to use for SCA. They are both recurve 64" and 28# pull. I think htey are made by Bear not sure because I forgot to ask to take the catalog home. The one looks like it has nobs on the front I think they are for taking the limbs off. The other I think is one piece. Would either or both be able to be used? I also found a cheap $45 starter bow that is recurve as well I think it is fiberglass. Would that be good to start because I am in need of streightening the one limb on the one I have But I need to put linseed oil on it they said and let it sit for a few days like that. The bow is from the early 1970's and I am not sure if it has been kept up with before I got it.

      I am just going by what the guy at the archery store tole me on that one. If I can find pics I can try to post them or a link to them to better help with the descriptions.

      THank you.

      Shellie

    • warbow67
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
        I've got my own question about suitable bows. A little over ten years ago I was pretty solid into archery but had to give it up (had to sell the bow). I remember I had a Mahaska longbow, 45# at 28" (but I pull 25" so it was more like 40# real), shedua wood riser and red oak(?) limbs with a purple heartwood inlay. It shot very well.

        Now I am looking to get back into it all again and I want another longbow. I tried a recurve recently and did well after a decade of not shooting, it was 30# but it felt too light for me, and I remember my old longbow being just slightly too heavy, so I am thinking of going with a 40#/28" (about 35# at 25").

        I do not have the money for another Makaska or anything else in that range, so I was thinking of a Samick Red Stag at 40#.

        www.oldbow.com/samick_red_stag_longbow.htm

        How does this bow fit in with SCA guidlines? And does anyone have any experience with Samick bows? I hear they make olympic competition bows.

        Dave H.

        -----------------------------------

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Edward deWitt <sagebowman@...> wrote:

        > Lady Davina, as long asyou aren't trying to shoot traditional, either of the bows should be ok.  If you will ahve to straighten a limb, i would stay away from that bow.  You really have to know what you are doing to correct the problem.  For the one needing linseed oil, there may be a better coating for the bow.  Either one of the bows needs to be checked for cracks and splits or separations in materials.  The one with the knobs sounds like a take down, which should be ok to use (check your kingdom's rules).  As long as there are no wheels or sights or counter weights on the bows,then they should be acceptable.
        >
        > Ld.Edward deWitt
        > Order of the Yeoman of the Sacred Stone
        > Archery Marshal, Barony of Sacred Stone, Atlantia

      • Carolus
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
          Samick bows tend to be good consistent shooters and a number of them are
          shot in the SCA. They are mid-range Korean bows and while Olympic
          style, not high end enough for use in that venue. I bought one for my
          Lady and it shoots well. I can recommend them.
          Carolus

          warbow67 wrote:
          > I've got my own question about suitable bows. A little over ten years ago I was pretty solid into archery but had to give it up (had to sell the bow). I remember I had a Mahaska longbow, 45# at 28" (but I pull 25" so it was more like 40# real), shedua wood riser and red oak(?) limbs with a purple heartwood inlay. It shot very well.
          >
          > Now I am looking to get back into it all again and I want another longbow. I tried a recurve recently and did well after a decade of not shooting, it was 30# but it felt too light for me, and I remember my old longbow being just slightly too heavy, so I am thinking of going with a 40#/28" (about 35# at 25").
          >
          > I do not have the money for another Makaska or anything else in that range, so I was thinking of a Samick Red Stag at 40#.
          >
          > www.oldbow.com/samick_red_stag_longbow.htm
          >
          > How does this bow fit in with SCA guidlines? And does anyone have any experience with Samick bows? I hear they make olympic competition bows.
          >
          > Dave H.

        • warbow67
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
            Thanks. The specific one in the link, the Samick Red Stag Longbow, is that one acceptable for SCA? I am referring to it's laminated construction and black glassed limbs. It's riser is minimal on the contours and has a narrow shelf, I assume that would inch it closer to acceptable.

            Dave H.

            --------------------------

            > Samick bows tend to be good consistent shooters and a number of them are
            > shot in the SCA. They are mid-range Korean bows and while Olympic
            > style, not high end enough for use in that venue. I bought one for my
            > Lady and it shoots well. I can recommend them.
            > Carolus
            >
            > warbow67 wrote:
            > > I've got my own question about suitable bows. A little over ten years ago I was pretty solid into archery but had to give it up (had to sell the bow). I remember I had a Mahaska longbow, 45# at 28" (but I pull 25" so it was more like 40# real), shedua wood riser and red oak(?) limbs with a purple heartwood inlay. It shot very well.
            > >
            > > Now I am looking to get back into it all again and I want another longbow. I tried a recurve recently and did well after a decade of not shooting, it was 30# but it felt too light for me, and I remember my old longbow being just slightly too heavy, so I am thinking of going with a 40#/28" (about 35# at 25").
            > >
            > > I do not have the money for another Makaska or anything else in that range, so I was thinking of a Samick Red Stag at 40#.
            > >
            > > www.oldbow.com/samick_red_stag_longbow.htm
            > >
            > > How does this bow fit in with SCA guidlines? And does anyone have any experience with Samick bows? I hear they make olympic competition bows.
            > >
            > > Dave H.

          • Bill Tait
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
              Actually, Samick has performed quite well. I just watched S H Park take out the pinhole camera in the X from 70m with a Samick Masters (World Cup 2007 stage 1).

              True that Hoyt has the market share of hardware, followed by Win & Win...

              But back to the bow at hand. Samick does make some good quality stuff.

              William Arwemakere - who's decidedly happy today!!!

              warbow67 wrote:
              > I've got my own question about suitable bows. A little over ten years ago I was pretty solid into archery but had to give it up (had to sell the bow). I remember I had a Mahaska longbow, 45# at 28" (but I pull 25" so it was more like 40# real), shedua wood riser and red oak(?) limbs with a purple heartwood inlay. It shot very well.
              >
              > Now I am looking to get back into it all again and I want another longbow. I tried a recurve recently and did well after a decade of not shooting, it was 30# but it felt too light for me, and I remember my old longbow being just slightly too heavy, so I am thinking of going with a 40#/28" (about 35# at 25").
              >
              > I do not have the money for another Makaska or anything else in that range, so I was thinking of a Samick Red Stag at 40#.
              >
              > www.oldbow.com/samick_red_stag_longbow.htm
              >
              > How does this bow fit in with SCA guidlines? And does anyone have any experience with Samick bows? I hear they make olympic competition bows.
              >
              > Dave H.

            • Carolus
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 16, 2010
                I couldn't get the link to open before but did this time. Sure, this is
                a fine bow for the SCA. It is a classic flatbow design, not really
                qualified for some period competitions but great for most everything
                else. I'd welcome it on my line anytime.
                Carolus