Re: [SCA-Archery] Tournament of the Phoenix

  • George Bottorf
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
      Greetings to one and all. I looked the Tournament over last year, and thought it an interesting contest to do. But, I didn't approve of their disallowing the shooting of static tipped recurves. Their use in period is proven. I shoot a Magyar bow, and have shot them for a l-o-n-g time! LOL. Their disallowing modern design bows is one thing, but the use of modern materials is not. Safety is of paramont concern. Oh well, it's their game; bat, ball, glove,and rule book!  It might be a nice trip down,but I think I will stay home and avoid having my bow being disallowed! Thank you, but no thanks. YIS, Ld.Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom Archer and Crossbowman.
    • Bruno Willinski
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010

        Can someone give me a good source for ready-to-shoot (display only) Dark Ages-period arrows

        Thanks

        BW
         Viking raid
        The man who stands at a strange threshold,
        Should be cautious before he cross it,
        Glance this way and that:
        Who knows beforehand what foes may sit
        Awaiting him in the hall?

        The Sayings of Hár (The High One (Odin))
        from the Poetic Edda

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
          Yes, they seem rather English longbow-centric.  If it was to be a fully Medieval European archery competition then they should allow all the bows that were in used in period and crossbows were used in England and the rest of Europe. Durer shows engravings of longbows with recurved tips.  And Eastern Europe used laminated recurves on foot and on horse back.

          Jon

          On Oct 15, 2010, at 6:47 PM, George Bottorf wrote:

          Greetings to one and all. I looked the Tournament over last year, and thought it an interesting contest to do. But, I didn't approve of their disallowing the shooting of static tipped recurves. Their use in period is proven. I shoot a Magyar bow, and have shot them for a l-o-n-g time! LOL. Their disallowing modern design bows is one thing, but the use of modern materials is not. Safety is of paramont concern. Oh well, it's their game; bat, ball, glove,and rule book!  It might be a nice trip down,but I think I will stay home and avoid having my bow being disallowed! Thank you, but no thanks. YIS, Ld.Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom Archer and Crossbowman.

        • warbow67
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
            Just out of curiosity, and not to promote any particular brand or dealer, but how does the "Hawkwood English Longbow" offered by 3 Rivers Archery stand up to their rigid rules of authentic bows?

            Dave H

            ----------------------------

            > Yes, they seem rather English longbow-centric. If it was to be a
            > fully Medieval European archery competition then they should allow
            > all the bows that were in used in period and crossbows were used in
            > England and the rest of Europe. Durer shows engravings of longbows
            > with recurved tips. And Eastern Europe used laminated recurves on
            > foot and on horse back.
            >
            > Jon
            >
            > On Oct 15, 2010, at 6:47 PM, George Bottorf wrote:
            >

            > > Greetings to one and all. I looked the Tournament over last year,
            > > and thought it an interesting contest to do. But, I didn't approve
            > > of their disallowing the shooting of static tipped recurves. Their
            > > use in period is proven. I shoot a Magyar bow, and have shot them
            > > for a l-o-n-g time! LOL. Their disallowing modern design bows is
            > > one thing, but the use of modern materials is not. Safety is of
            > > paramont concern. Oh well, it's their game; bat, ball, glove,and
            > > rule book! It might be a nice trip down,but I think I will stay
            > > home and avoid having my bow being disallowed! Thank you, but no
            > > thanks. YIS, Ld.Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom Archer and
            > > Crossbowman.

          • Noah
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 16, 2010
              I have one and I like it the only problem that
              I have is with the string I find that it stretch and
              You have to tighten it but that is only thing I have
              Found wrong I hope that helps
              In service Herman deswolf  gansevoort
              Sent from my iPhone