Tournament of the Phoenix

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
      I do not have a first hand information about this, but it looks interesting.

      http://worldjoust.com/index.htm

      Jon

      Begin forwarded message:

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
        Greetings to one and all. I looked the Tournament over last year, and thought it an interesting contest to do. But, I didn't approve of their disallowing the shooting of static tipped recurves. Their use in period is proven. I shoot a Magyar bow, and have shot them for a l-o-n-g time! LOL. Their disallowing modern design bows is one thing, but the use of modern materials is not. Safety is of paramont concern. Oh well, it's their game; bat, ball, glove,and rule book!  It might be a nice trip down,but I think I will stay home and avoid having my bow being disallowed! Thank you, but no thanks. YIS, Ld.Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom Archer and Crossbowman.
      • Bruno Willinski
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010

          Can someone give me a good source for ready-to-shoot (display only) Dark Ages-period arrows

          Thanks

          BW
           Viking raid
          The man who stands at a strange threshold,
          Should be cautious before he cross it,
          Glance this way and that:
          Who knows beforehand what foes may sit
          Awaiting him in the hall?

          The Sayings of Hár (The High One (Odin))
          from the Poetic Edda

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
            Yes, they seem rather English longbow-centric.  If it was to be a fully Medieval European archery competition then they should allow all the bows that were in used in period and crossbows were used in England and the rest of Europe. Durer shows engravings of longbows with recurved tips.  And Eastern Europe used laminated recurves on foot and on horse back.

            Jon

            On Oct 15, 2010, at 6:47 PM, George Bottorf wrote:

            Greetings to one and all. I looked the Tournament over last year, and thought it an interesting contest to do. But, I didn't approve of their disallowing the shooting of static tipped recurves. Their use in period is proven. I shoot a Magyar bow, and have shot them for a l-o-n-g time! LOL. Their disallowing modern design bows is one thing, but the use of modern materials is not. Safety is of paramont concern. Oh well, it's their game; bat, ball, glove,and rule book!  It might be a nice trip down,but I think I will stay home and avoid having my bow being disallowed! Thank you, but no thanks. YIS, Ld.Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom Archer and Crossbowman.

          • warbow67
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 15, 2010
              Just out of curiosity, and not to promote any particular brand or dealer, but how does the "Hawkwood English Longbow" offered by 3 Rivers Archery stand up to their rigid rules of authentic bows?

              Dave H

              ----------------------------

              > Yes, they seem rather English longbow-centric. If it was to be a
              > fully Medieval European archery competition then they should allow
              > all the bows that were in used in period and crossbows were used in
              > England and the rest of Europe. Durer shows engravings of longbows
              > with recurved tips. And Eastern Europe used laminated recurves on
              > foot and on horse back.
              >
              > Jon
              >
              > On Oct 15, 2010, at 6:47 PM, George Bottorf wrote:
              >

              > > Greetings to one and all. I looked the Tournament over last year,
              > > and thought it an interesting contest to do. But, I didn't approve
              > > of their disallowing the shooting of static tipped recurves. Their
              > > use in period is proven. I shoot a Magyar bow, and have shot them
              > > for a l-o-n-g time! LOL. Their disallowing modern design bows is
              > > one thing, but the use of modern materials is not. Safety is of
              > > paramont concern. Oh well, it's their game; bat, ball, glove,and
              > > rule book! It might be a nice trip down,but I think I will stay
              > > home and avoid having my bow being disallowed! Thank you, but no
              > > thanks. YIS, Ld.Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom Archer and
              > > Crossbowman.

            • Noah
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 16, 2010
                I have one and I like it the only problem that
                I have is with the string I find that it stretch and
                You have to tighten it but that is only thing I have
                Found wrong I hope that helps
                In service Herman deswolf  gansevoort
                Sent from my iPhone