Re: [SCA-Archery] Thumb Rings

  • Guy Taylor
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 29, 2010

      Guy
      Greenman Archery

      --- On Wed, 9/29/10, i_griffen <i_griffen@...> wrote:

      From: i_griffen <i_griffen@...>
      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Thumb Rings
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, September 29, 2010, 11:49 AM

      Greetings Afternoon All

      I am trying to research the usage of Thumb Rings. The links I had have disapeared. Does anyone know of any links that would help with my reseach?

      Iain Griffen
      Aten

    • The Greys
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 30, 2010
        There is this book http://www.3riversarchery.com/Books+DVD%27s+Educational+History+Kay%27s+Thumbring+Book_c42_s18_p268_i6343_product.html that discusses history, types and use of the thumb ring. Kaye's Thumb Ring book.

        http://silverhorde.viahistoria.com/main.html?ThumbRing.html this site shows how to make a leather thumb ring but also has lots of links for sources.

        cog

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@...> wrote:

        > Greetings Afternoon All
        >
        > I am trying to research the usage of Thumb Rings. The links I had have disapeared. Does anyone know of any links that would help with my reseach?
        >
        > Iain Griffen
        > Aten

      • jbl
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 11, 2010
          Another spot is Spitfire horsebows he has an eduacation section on there with pictures of the shot sequence and some videos. There is also a memebers only forum that you could join that is VERY helpful.

          ATARN has some great information about all aspects of Asian archery and has severallinks on how to build a thumb ring. There are also several good videos from ATARN on youtube that show how to use a thumb draw.

          I have built several rings using horn, a PVC pipe union and leather. The leather ring took about five minutes to make. I cut the leather to the size of my thumb, punched two holes on the bottom and took a leather boot lace and thread it through the holes tied it on to my thumb and bingo-thumb ring.

          To start off with the thumb draw I would recommend a 25-30# and work your way up to the weight you normally use. I have been shooting with the thumb draw exclusively over the last two years and I find that I am more accurate and faster then I was with a split finger release. There is a learning curve but I really didn't find it as hard as many make it out to be. Good luck and if you need anymore info just ask.

          Dmytro