Re: the two fingers

  • Dan Stratton
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2010
      > As a general rule, you should not be showing your two fingers to the heavies. By the way, I can find nothing that is actually documentable that indicates archers captured by the enemies would be so lucky to simply get their fingers cut off. Considering that many archers had no value as ransom, most would have just been killed.
      > James
      Now, Now.
      No point in ruining with facts, a perfectly good Winston Churchill story, and denigrating his famous two fingers, (after he tried to put a righteous and patriotic spin on a national custom and ancient mystical gesture). It's a good English origin story, it feels right, it involves Agincourt, and I choose to believe it, warts and all. Just don't believe the one finger version, that's rubbish.
      Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
      Midrealm Forester - OP
      "- bows of carved wood strong for use, with well-seasoned strings of hemp, and arrows sharp-pointed whizzing in flight."

    • bluecat@neo.rr.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 22, 2010
        Actually- you'd best read Sir Jon's article about archers and nobles. One of the ways of achieving rank was
        through archery.

        I'll also take the whole 2 fingers raised story warts and all. Culturally it fits the occasion well. I'll have
        a look for some proof just the same.

        Dirk Edward of Frisia