Re: [SCA-Archery] Archery

  • Bill Tait
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 11, 2010
      That is the best answer to a very vague question.

      William Arwemakere

      On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Mike Gideon <mg1m@...> wrote:

      the one you've practiced with

      Michel

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 14, 2010
        Short answer... wooden recurve 30 pounds or less to start. I prefer old Bear and Hoyt target bows from the 60's (tons of deals on ebay), but modern manufacture hunting recurves are fine if you have the funds.

        Stay away from cheap selfbows and the like. Most are horribly inefficient and have terrible cast. Also english longbows and horsebows are more difficult to shoot with consistiency because they lack an arrow shelf. Though they may be easier to shoot quickly . YRMV.

        Cedar arrows are relatively heavy so in order to shoot flater people tend to higher poundage, this can have a serious negative effect on form. Most FITA and Olympic recurve shooters stay under 45 pounds. 35-40 is typically tops for women.