Re: noob question

  • James W
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2010
      No, I don't think you are a troll and I am actually glad that as a newcomer you have asked the question.

      As pointed out by other, things vary from place to place but if you are friendly and courteous, you will find that get friendship and courtesy back.

      Generally, there is little disrespect towards target archery with many heavy fighters participating in it. At a recent Shire championship I ran, both the Prince and Princess of our Principality competed. This is not uncommon in our area. I have shot alongside and even coached many of our Princes, Princesses, Kings, and Queens.

      Our indoor target practice during the winter was hosted along side the heavy practice. We rope off about a 1/3 of the area for our range which is mostly all safety range. The shooting lanes are right up against the wall. Some fighters will come over and do 20 minutes of archery to warm up and calm the mind. Most have found doing archery after heavy fighting is not as beneficial because of the increased adrenline and heart rate.

      Combat archery is usually the one that gets some negativity thrown its way. Again, our area is pretty good with some older knights even waxing romantically about the good old days when we fired bird blunts and everyone wore mesh screening or lexan. In two weeks, we will be investing a new Princess in the Principality of Tir Righ and she is a combat archer on the field.

      As for awards, while knighthood is not an option for someone who is solely an archer, the Kingdom of An Tir does recognize outstanding archers with the Order of the Grey Goose Shaft which allows the members to wear a white bracer. The White Bracer, like a White Scarf, is a visible reminder that even though the award is only Grant level (i.e. a mid level award), the holder should show the same level of chivalry, respect, and honour one would expect out of a Peer level White Belt.

      As a general rule, you should not be showing your two fingers to the heavies. By the way, I can find nothing that is actually documentable that indicates archers captured by the enemies would be so lucky to simply get their fingers cut off. Considering that many archers had no value as ransom, most would have just been killed.

      Certain things can be done when there is already a level of respect earned between people. A certain amount of bardic trash talking and outrageous provaction can add to the ambience and fun of an event but you have to be darn sure you are going to be entertaining and not insulting.

      We had an excellent event recently where one of our bards who is also a heavy fighter and a target archer, used the email lists to taunt the other side. Things went back and forth, all in good humour, and eventually, a bounty was put on the bards head. When the war actually happened, Caemgen took the field in a helmet that had a target painted on it.

      We are very much a social club. At the beginning of the day, we may want to curse our enemy and the horse they rode in on but when the fighting is done and the campfires are burning, we want to be able to sit down with our enemy of the day and toast them and the horse, too.

      Have Fun, Play Fair,

      James Wolfden