Eastern european noble archers

  • Saethryth Seolforlocc
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 11, 2010
      Perhaps there are some period paintings of these?
    • captain sandusky
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 11, 2010
        There are several period paintings of the Eastern Nobles-just google Polish Husaria or just husaria and hit images.  Rembrandt painted "The Polish Rider"  who has a composite bow.  There is also a picture of Dymtro Vyshnevetsky who is credited with being the founder of the Zaporozhye Cossacks with a bow that could be described as Scythian that Ukraine has put on a coin.  Another great picture is that of Zaporozhye Cossack Hetman Petro Sahaidechny Konashevych on a horse with his composite bow and arrows.  A side note the "sajdak" was the bow quiver.

        Perhaps there are some period paintings of these?

      • Terrance Timmons
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 11, 2010

          Most people will not take paintings as a "historically accurate" since painters have the tendency to change/enhance the image to make it more dramatic/flattering/etc.

          Terrance
          Atenveldt

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2010
            I agree with you about the paintings about being "historically accurate" but I also believe these paintings showed what type of arms were used by these individuals and do provide evidence of some of the history.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 11, 2010

              Your preaching to the choir here, just letting you know some of the arguements used by detractors of the idea.

              Terrance
              Atenveldt

[...]

            • logantheboweyder
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 12, 2010
                In the late 50's or early 60's, there was a book published in Checkloslovakia that made it's way here, and I believe republished in the last 10 years...

                Here it is!
                http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-costume-armour-weapons-1350-1450/dp/B0007IT4G6

                Logan