Re: [SCA-Archery] Wrist Bow Slings legal???

  • Geirr pík
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 2010
      Carolus, could you explain how it increases safety? I don't know much about these devices and have never used one, and so I am curious.

      Thanks.

      Geirr

      On 8 August 2010 05:28, Carolus <eulenhorst@...> wrote:

      I encourage the use of a sling (bow/wrist/finger doesn't matter) for
      safety reasons. It has always been legal in Caid. i have shot with a
      wrist sling for years. You are right, a sling gives no inherent
      advantage. It does, however, add safety. One of the overlooked factors
      is that it allows the bow arm to remain more relaxed and therefore
      lessens the chance for shoulder, elbow or wrist injury.
      Carolus

      russell wrote:
      > My archery teacher in Denver was Bob from Bobs Archery. He taught me to shoot using a v method. Open hand forming a v not closing you fingers around the bow . Which causes torque and less accuracy. But to open your hand and form a v. In doing so you use a wrist/bow sling or thumb and finger sling so you dont drop your bow. Not used in aiminf or anything else. Just safty for no dropping you gear, The open v style gives more accuracy and I have used this for 10 years. I was told SCA shooter dont use wrist bow slings. I dont see any rules on it. Right now I will be shooting Open not tradional style. Please note Olymic archers use this method too. Bob froms Bobs Archery is a well know archer and ran his own shop for many many years and is a legend here in Colorado.
      > Is it legal so use a wrist or finger=thumg or bow sling. they are made of leather or other matrials. its not the sling that gives you better accuracy its the v holding method.
      > Russ
      > I am use to shooting this way.

    • Carolus
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 8, 2010
        There are several factors. I apologize if I am covering things you
        already know but I will start wit thee basics so nothing is missed. I
        will begin with a description of grips and then explain how those factor
        into safety. I will refer to the generic "you" in referring to the archer.

        If you extend your arm in a natural manner (as if pointing), you will
        find a very relaxed position with the top of the hand in a plane with
        the top of the forearm. You will also find the cavity of the palm of
        the hand to follow a line backwards from top to bottom of about 19
        degrees. This angle is the reason for the styling of classic handguns
        such as the German Luger. It is also the reason for the designs adopted
        by many ergonomic tool manufacturers and for the "high wrist" grips on
        modern high end bows (some moderate priced recurves now use this as
        well). Which brings us back to archery. As I said holding a bow in
        this fashion is known as using a "high wrist" style. For many reasons
        it is the preferred grip the the best shooters. For our purposes here
        the important thing is that it produces the least stress on the muscles
        and joints of the arm.

        By contrast, a traditional longbow or a more basic bow will have a
        straight grip leading to the use of a "low wrist" style in which the
        wrist turns at a severe angle. This puts stress on the muscles of the
        lower forearm and keeps the arm under tension at all times. This can
        lead to repetitive stress injury (rsi) in the wrist and tendonitis in
        the elbow. This tension acts as "pre-loading" a spring and also impact
        shooting by causing "clutching" (the tendency to twist the bow inwards
        on release) or "exploding" (throwing the arm outward to compensate for
        "clutching"). This can cause arrows to not only miss the target but
        land in areas considered "safe" on some ranges.

        These factors are in play when the arm is held in a natural pointing
        position with the elbow pointing more or less downward. But for
        shooting we want to pronate the elbow or point it to the side so the
        joint moves though a horizontal line. Pronation does several things.
        It moves the muscle mass of the forearm out of the way of the string
        reducing the chance of "string slap" which can result in hematoma and
        locks the shoulder giving solid bone on bone contact and reducing the
        chance of rotator cuff injury (especially important with heavy weight
        bows. Unfortunately, it also puts the wrist in a horizontal plane.
        There are many benefits related to shooting which result from pronation
        which are not directly safety related. It is the use of pronation which
        makes the sling particularly a safety device.

        When the arm is held in the natural position it is rather easy to wrap
        the middle or index finger around the bow and keep the other fingers
        relaxed. This will retain the bow on release and limit the effects of
        clutching or exploding. However, it takes considerable training to do
        this and even a skilled archer will fail to properly relax when stressed
        or tired. When the arm is held in a pronated position, it is very
        difficult or impossible to get that satisfactory control of the bow. On
        release, the bow tends to jump forward and will escape the grip. A
        sling retains it. It is because of the other factors in shooting
        enabled by the sling that I consider it a valuable safety item.
        Carolus

      • bradb@micro-link.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 16, 2010
          Relax.

          Someone is mis-informed. One of our Archery gods in Æthelmearc uses the
          wrist sling and is exceptionally proficient at killing targets. It is
          perfectly acceptable for this kingdom although seldom seen. I use the 'V'
          grip without the sling. I simply place two of my finger tips oh so lightly
          against the face of the bow which prevents it from launching.

          Shoot well

          Brad

          > My archery teacher in Denver was Bob from Bobs Archery. He taught me to
          > shoot using a v method. Open hand forming a v not closing you fingers
          > around the bow . Which causes torque and less accuracy. But to open your
          > hand and form a v. In doing so you use a wrist/bow sling or thumb and
          > finger sling so you dont drop your bow. Not used in aiminf or anything
          > else. Just safty for no dropping you gear, The open v style gives more
          > accuracy and I have used this for 10 years. I was told SCA shooter dont
          > use wrist bow slings. I dont see any rules on it. Right now I will be
          > shooting Open not tradional style. Please note Olymic archers use this
          > method too. Bob froms Bobs Archery is a well know archer and ran his own
          > shop for many many years and is a legend here in Colorado.
          > Is it legal so use a wrist or finger=thumg or bow sling. they are made of
          > leather or other matrials. its not the sling that gives you better
          > accuracy its the v holding method.
          > Russ
          > I am use to shooting this way.

        • J C Ronsen
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 16, 2010
            I have been using a wrist sling with my recurve, in the SCA, for the last 15 years. I have never seen a rule by the SCA, or any Kingdom, that makes them "illegal".

            Caleb Reynolds
            9th Baron of the Rhydderich Hael

            Aug 16, 2010 11:06:45 AM, SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            Relax.

            Someone is mis-informed. One of our Archery gods in Æthelmearc uses the
            wrist sling and is exceptionally proficient at killing targets. It is
            perfectly acceptable for this kingdom although seldom seen. I use the 'V'
            grip without the sling. I simply place two of my finger tips oh so lightly
            against the face of the bow which prevents it from launching.

            Shoot well

            Brad

            > My archery teacher in Denver was Bob from Bobs Archery. He taught me to
            > shoot using a v method. Open hand forming a v not closing you fingers
            > around the bow . Which causes torque and less accuracy. But to open your
            > hand and form a v. In doing so you use a wrist/bow sling or thumb and
            > finger sling so you dont drop your bow. Not used in aiminf or anything
            > else. Just safty for no dropping you gear, The open v style gives more
            > accuracy and I have used this for 10 years. I was told SCA shooter dont
            > use wrist bow slings. I dont see any rules on it. Right now I will be
            > shooting Open not tradional style. Please note Olymic archers use this
            > method too. Bob froms Bobs Archery is a well know archer and ran his own
            > shop for many many years and is a legend here in Colorado.
            > Is it legal so use a wrist or finger=thumg or bow sling. they are made of
            > leather or other matrials. its not the sling that gives you better
            > accuracy its the v holding method.
            > Russ
            > I am use to shooting this way.

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • bradb@micro-link.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 16, 2010
              I get it. The 'V' grip gives no inherant advantage because your *form* is
              going to put the arrow where you are aiming it no matter the style ya use
              to get it there.

              But I beg to differ.

              Present your bow to the target in a *very* loosely held hand. Now make a
              fist. If the string moved to the left in any measurable manner then you
              may assume that the same thing will happen uppon release with an arrow.
              The "V" grip simply eliminates the torque of the 'fisted' bow and allows
              the string to travel in a slightly straighter path upon release.

              Please bear in mind that this 'issue' is only for those who gotta have,
              absolutely need, will die without, perfection. This is not a situation
              which the average Archer will ever need to concern themselves.

              I had Archers at Pennsic, after tightening up their form, squealing with
              delight simply because they hit the Saunders mat.

              Brad

              >You are right, a sling gives no inherent
              > advantage. It does, however, add safety. One of the overlooked factors
              > is that it allows the bow arm to remain more relaxed and therefore
              > lessens the chance for shoulder, elbow or wrist injury.
              > Carolus
            • Hobbe
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 16, 2010
                From EK Policies:
                http://www.eastkingdom.org/Law/archery.html

                III. EQUIPMENT STANDARDS
                A. Bows
                5. Bow straps are allowed.

                ~Hobbe
              • russell
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 16, 2010
                  The V holding method is all I can shoot now after so many years lol.
                  You can try it wrost is you go back to your old style but if you try it and get use to it your score my go up. I started this way its all I know lol. Sling is a safty measure but you dont even know its there lol in a little bit.

                • kburgess1@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 16, 2010
                    I asked my brother , a compound bow shooter, if that was where the seeing eye dog leash attached at.