Re: [SCA-Archery] Questions on Practices

  • David Keil
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
      Greetings James,

      To the south of you in the shire of Wyewood (An Tir) we have had a robust practice for around 5 years.  We decreased from a twice weekly practice to once a week to not burn out the marshals as we practice year round.  Average attendance this summer has been 20-30 archers, winters 7-20.  We also draw some from neighboring branches so that add to the numbers.

      Evrard de Valogne
      Chief Archer of Madrone (one of those neighbors)

      On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:28 AM, James W <jameswolfden@...> wrote:
      In the local area, we are running two practises per week at the same location. One is officially hosted by the Shire of Eisenmarche and the other is officially hosted by the Barony of Lions Gate. Currently, the practises are not being well attended by our standards. There was a time in the past when we would have averaged 20 archers and now six to eight is a good turnout.

      So two questions for the various groups out there.

      How often do you hold practices?
      How many archers do you get out on average?

      In Service,
      James Wolfden

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Cleve Johnson
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
        We practice inside once each week (Wednesday nights) for about two hours and occasionally on Sunday afternoons at an outside site for two to three hours in the Barony of Sternfeld.  We have 10-14 people attend regularly.

        Eadric of Grenfeld

        Cleve Johnson

        "Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction."

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
          We hold weekly practices in Naevehjem, CAID, on Sunday PM's. Once we were fielding 16 archers regularly, but in recent years we are lucky to get more than 4.

          another James

          On Aug 4, 2010, at 9:28 AM, James W wrote:

          > In the local area, we are running two practises per week at the same location. One is officially hosted by the Shire of Eisenmarche and the other is officially hosted by the Barony of Lions Gate. Currently, the practises are not being well attended by our standards. There was a time in the past when we would have averaged 20 archers and now six to eight is a good turnout.
          >
          > So two questions for the various groups out there.
          >
          > How often do you hold practices?
          > How many archers do you get out on average?
          >
          > In Service,
          > James Wolfden

        • logantheboweyder
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
            Coeur d'Ennui, a small barony in Calontir. 1 practice a week, at an indoor Traditional-only shop. Average turnout is 5 archers.

            Logan

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James W" <jameswolfden@...> wrote:

            > In the local area, we are running two practises per week at the same location. One is officially hosted by the Shire of Eisenmarche and the other is officially hosted by the Barony of Lions Gate. Currently, the practises are not being well attended by our standards. There was a time in the past when we would have averaged 20 archers and now six to eight is a good turnout.
            >
            > So two questions for the various groups out there.
            >
            > How often do you hold practices?
            > How many archers do you get out on average?
            >
            > In Service,
            > James Wolfden

          • i_griffen
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7, 2010
              Good Archers

              Many years ago when I was the archery officer for the Barony of Atenveldt. I promoted the weekly practices by using my computer to create a small flyer that I would hand out during the weekly fighter practices. The attendence went from 6 to 16 in a few months and it continued to grow to at times we would field 40 archers.

              Keep in mind your practices are out of sight out of mind until you as the archery officer takes the proactive approch to inform the gentles of your group and surounding area.

              think about this in Word, Works, Print Master and other software you can create custom flyers on your computer then have copies made if you don't have a copy machine.

              hope this helps
              Past Archery Captain
              Barony of Atenvelde
              Iain Griffen