Re: [SCA-Archery] Questions on Practices

  • nelson3146@roadrunner.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
      greetings, in the Barony of the angels, kingdom of Caid, I try to hold practice at least once a week and I average between six and eight people per practice.
      --
      Carl Nelson
      Æoelwigg Ælfwiggsson

      ---- James W <jameswolfden@...> wrote:
      > In the local area, we are running two practises per week at the same location. One is officially hosted by the Shire of Eisenmarche and the other is officially hosted by the Barony of Lions Gate. Currently, the practises are not being well attended by our standards. There was a time in the past when we would have averaged 20 archers and now six to eight is a good turnout.
      >
      > So two questions for the various groups out there.
      >
      > How often do you hold practices?
      > How many archers do you get out on average?
      >
      > In Service,
      > James Wolfden

    • Bill Moore
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
        Well, we (the Barony of Delftwood, in AEthelmearc) have gone from two practices, down to one per week in the last year. I have noticed that there are spikes and valleys in our attendance and right now we are in a valley. Our weekly attendance is about 5, a really good turn out is about 12.

        In Service to the Dream
        Edward Harbinger

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
          Greetings James,

          To the south of you in the shire of Wyewood (An Tir) we have had a robust practice for around 5 years.  We decreased from a twice weekly practice to once a week to not burn out the marshals as we practice year round.  Average attendance this summer has been 20-30 archers, winters 7-20.  We also draw some from neighboring branches so that add to the numbers.

          Evrard de Valogne
          Chief Archer of Madrone (one of those neighbors)

          On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:28 AM, James W <jameswolfden@...> wrote:
          In the local area, we are running two practises per week at the same location. One is officially hosted by the Shire of Eisenmarche and the other is officially hosted by the Barony of Lions Gate. Currently, the practises are not being well attended by our standards. There was a time in the past when we would have averaged 20 archers and now six to eight is a good turnout.

          So two questions for the various groups out there.

          How often do you hold practices?
          How many archers do you get out on average?

          In Service,
          James Wolfden

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Cleve Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
            We practice inside once each week (Wednesday nights) for about two hours and occasionally on Sunday afternoons at an outside site for two to three hours in the Barony of Sternfeld.  We have 10-14 people attend regularly.

            Eadric of Grenfeld

            Cleve Johnson

            "Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction."

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
              We hold weekly practices in Naevehjem, CAID, on Sunday PM's. Once we were fielding 16 archers regularly, but in recent years we are lucky to get more than 4.

              another James

              On Aug 4, 2010, at 9:28 AM, James W wrote:

              > In the local area, we are running two practises per week at the same location. One is officially hosted by the Shire of Eisenmarche and the other is officially hosted by the Barony of Lions Gate. Currently, the practises are not being well attended by our standards. There was a time in the past when we would have averaged 20 archers and now six to eight is a good turnout.
              >
              > So two questions for the various groups out there.
              >
              > How often do you hold practices?
              > How many archers do you get out on average?
              >
              > In Service,
              > James Wolfden

            • logantheboweyder
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2010
                Coeur d'Ennui, a small barony in Calontir. 1 practice a week, at an indoor Traditional-only shop. Average turnout is 5 archers.

                Logan

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "James W" <jameswolfden@...> wrote:

                > In the local area, we are running two practises per week at the same location. One is officially hosted by the Shire of Eisenmarche and the other is officially hosted by the Barony of Lions Gate. Currently, the practises are not being well attended by our standards. There was a time in the past when we would have averaged 20 archers and now six to eight is a good turnout.
                >
                > So two questions for the various groups out there.
                >
                > How often do you hold practices?
                > How many archers do you get out on average?
                >
                > In Service,
                > James Wolfden

              • i_griffen
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2010
                  Good Archers

                  Many years ago when I was the archery officer for the Barony of Atenveldt. I promoted the weekly practices by using my computer to create a small flyer that I would hand out during the weekly fighter practices. The attendence went from 6 to 16 in a few months and it continued to grow to at times we would field 40 archers.

                  Keep in mind your practices are out of sight out of mind until you as the archery officer takes the proactive approch to inform the gentles of your group and surounding area.

                  think about this in Word, Works, Print Master and other software you can create custom flyers on your computer then have copies made if you don't have a copy machine.

                  hope this helps
                  Past Archery Captain
                  Barony of Atenvelde
                  Iain Griffen