Re: thxs for info

  • Lord Alester MacClansy
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
      If I remember 7 of 11 Grand Bowmen Elite use crossbows.....

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "russell" <russellregister@...> wrote:

      > I am guessing crossbow vs longbow/bow is the time in grade/skill thing. Takes longer to make killer archers and less time for crossbows as I read my history- middleages and yes The Archer by Bernard Cornwell. Great trilogy. He talks about the diff crossbow vs archery training
      > in all three books . First book takes place at the battle of Crecy.
      > He states in the book most archers started 5-7 and by 17 killer warbow matrial. Not just your sunday archer. I hope this was correct info. but never the less its a good guide to work on. French used crossbowmen because france did not have a archery program for the masses and few trained archers(Hunters), Had to rely on french crossbowmen or mercs from Italy etc.
      > thanks everyone
      > so when I see most higher levelSCA RR Ranked are crossbow I am guessing this idea backs it?
      > russ

    • Steven Chang
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
        Speed rounds doesn't seem to disadvantage some xbowmen in our kingdom
        either. I know of at least one person that can load and shoot 10 xbow
        bolts in 30 secs with accuracy.

        On 8/3/10, J C Ronsen <jcronsen@...> wrote:

        > Also, keep in mind that the SCA royal round is slightly geared towards
        > crossbows: one timed round and three untimed rounds.
      • J C Ronsen
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
          Wow. I would love to know their secret.

          Caleb from Work Land

          On 8/3/10, J C Ronsen wrote:

          > Also, keep in mind that the SCA royal round is slightly geared towards
          > crossbows: one timed round and three untimed rounds.

          <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
          SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Cetach Fitzgibbon
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010

            Agreed. At my best, I can do seven.

            But then again, I shoot standing with a 120lb prod. I might be able to increase that if I decreased the amount of movement and effort involved. I just could never bring myself to shoot a timed end sitting down. Never seemed all that useful beyond the target range to me.

            Cetach