Re: [SCA-Archery] thxs for info

  • J C Ronsen
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010

      Also, keep in mind that the SCA royal round is slightly geared towards crossbows: one timed round and three untimed rounds. My first crossbow (a 150lbs monster named Black Betty) could shoot flat line at up to 60 yards: even without any sights, it was point n' click bulls eyes. I just had to aim three feet below the center of a 60cm target and the bolts dropped into the yellow like magic. I stopped shooting it because, except for the speed round, there was no challenge to a royal round. However, in shooting anything else, woods walks, clout shoots, hanging targets, snap shoots, speed runs, moving targets, clay penguins, paper targets or other fun targets, Black Betty was at a disadvantage: she only had one setting, 11. Any target that low to the ground, was hard to aim at. As were any odd ball targets. Clout shoots were difficult because the stock of the crossbow obscured the target. And, as I used a goats foot to cock Black Betty, speed shoots were most challenging. I have since retired Black Betty and now shoot with a much lighter crossbow (80lbs), but I still don't shoot with sights; it's my challenge to myself.

      I do agree with you, though: It takes longer to learn to use a recurve or longbow than it does a crossbow. But, you trade speed and flexibility for accuracy and more consistancy. I think that it is easier for a new archer to pickup a crossbow and start shooting in the 50s or 60s than it would be for a brand new archer with a handbow. But I've seen the same crossbow men and women stuck in the 50s and 60s for years while they master the crossbow and I've seen new archers with handbows steadily improve their RR scores as they practice more and more.

      Of the top ten archers that I know and shoot with, the people who delight in shooting around trees or on one leg, only two of them shoot crossbow; the rest shoot handbows. Crossbows are easier to learn to basics on, but tougher to master: I'm still learning how to shoot mine.

      Thank you for listening (reading?) my $0.02.

      Caleb Reynolds
      9th Baron of the Rhydderich Hael

      Aug 3, 2010 01:16:04 PM, SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      I am guessing crossbow vs longbow/bow is the time in grade/skill thing. Takes longer to make killer archers and less time for crossbows as I read my history- middleages and yes The Archer by Bernard Cornwell. Great trilogy. He talks about the diff crossbow vs archery training
      in all three books . First book takes place at the battle of Crecy.
      He states in the book most archers started 5-7 and by 17 killer warbow matrial. Not just your sunday archer. I hope this was correct info. but never the less its a good guide to work on. French used crossbowmen because france did not have a archery program for the masses and few trained archers(Hunters), Had to rely on french crossbowmen or mercs from Italy etc.
      thanks everyone
      so when I see most higher levelSCA RR Ranked are crossbow I am guessing this idea backs it?
      russ

      <*> Your email settings:
      Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
      (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
      SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Lord Alester MacClansy
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
        If I remember 7 of 11 Grand Bowmen Elite use crossbows.....

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "russell" <russellregister@...> wrote:

        > I am guessing crossbow vs longbow/bow is the time in grade/skill thing. Takes longer to make killer archers and less time for crossbows as I read my history- middleages and yes The Archer by Bernard Cornwell. Great trilogy. He talks about the diff crossbow vs archery training
        > in all three books . First book takes place at the battle of Crecy.
        > He states in the book most archers started 5-7 and by 17 killer warbow matrial. Not just your sunday archer. I hope this was correct info. but never the less its a good guide to work on. French used crossbowmen because france did not have a archery program for the masses and few trained archers(Hunters), Had to rely on french crossbowmen or mercs from Italy etc.
        > thanks everyone
        > so when I see most higher levelSCA RR Ranked are crossbow I am guessing this idea backs it?
        > russ

      • Steven Chang
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
          Speed rounds doesn't seem to disadvantage some xbowmen in our kingdom
          either. I know of at least one person that can load and shoot 10 xbow
          bolts in 30 secs with accuracy.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
            Wow. I would love to know their secret.

            Caleb from Work Land

            On 8/3/10, J C Ronsen wrote:

            > Also, keep in mind that the SCA royal round is slightly geared towards
            > crossbows: one timed round and three untimed rounds.

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Cetach Fitzgibbon
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010

              Agreed. At my best, I can do seven.

              But then again, I shoot standing with a 120lb prod. I might be able to increase that if I decreased the amount of movement and effort involved. I just could never bring myself to shoot a timed end sitting down. Never seemed all that useful beyond the target range to me.

              Cetach