RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Where to Find...

  • RJ Bachner
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2010
      Heya Chris

      Hey I totally get the desire to shoot a heavy bow. The cool factor is
      definitely there but as I found out. Pain hurts.

      What I did while training is use the bow I have, fiberglass works better for
      this.

      I can't shoot every day because I don't have access to a range more than
      once a week. What I do is basically draw the bow slowly to full draw in
      front of a mirror, watch your form and make sure every draw is perfect. Hold
      it for 10 sec each rep and do it 10 times to begin with, rest then do it
      again etc.

      You can do this in the living room or hallway or out front on balcony if
      local weapons laws allow it.

      You burn in muscle memory for the draw and anchor and believe me, 2 weeks of
      this morning and night and you won't be shaking at full draw. Doing it every
      day over time increasing the reps and number of cycles will do more for you
      than honking back a heavy bow a few times and tearing your cuff as I did.

      Did I mention that pain hurts?

      If you absolutely need that heavy training bow, all you need is a length of
      elm or hickory or white oak (these are the cheapest tough bow woods
      available almost everywhere) that is tillered to bend evenly at the draw
      weight and draw length you need. It does not have to be an actual shooter,
      just a flexible beam with a handle and a really thick bowstring. (good luck
      getting the damn thing strung though)

      Don't forget though

      PAIN HURTS!!!!!!!!!

      Ragi