Re: [SCA-Archery] Bow stringing

  • chris & sher
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 20, 2010

      i am not positive , but i have a few older glass lam, bows , that when i acquired them were strung.
      and the poundage  has dropped from there original .
      i would think that , if a bow were always strung, the resistance would drop,  like a old spring that wont return.
      Christopher

    • bradb@micro-link.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 20, 2010
        I've seen "improperly stored" mentioned a couple of times so far....

        For the rookie shooters this means anywhere there may be a serious
        temperature fluxuation. You don't want to store your bow in the car due to
        the incredible difference in temperature from the sun of the day to the
        cool of 5AM. Neither the garage, if it is not insulated or if there is a
        significant temp fluxuation. The constant temperature differences will
        delaminate a bow fairly quickly.

        A bow should never be 'propped' into the corner of a room. Especially
        while strung. This will cause the limbs to twist. Lay the bow flat
        wherever it is at rest. On top of a book case, dresser, shelves, etc. are
        the best places. And this may be 'strung' or 'unstrung'. Experienced
        shooters will have their favourite bows hanging on two pegs or two hooks
        on the wall to assure the bow is supported in a stress free environment. I
        have actually taken two of the clothes bars which are sold (Advanced Auto)
        for hanging shirts and suits in a vehicle and mounted them fore and aft in
        the ceiling of the Jeep. All my bows (marshal staff, ironwood walking
        staff, etc.) are up out of the way, protected from lateral stressing and
        the feast gear, and not sticking us in the elbows to and from events
        anymore. I tried rope but the rope eventually sags and everything hangs
        really badly. Get one inch wooden dowling from a hardware store and figger
        your own mounting in the top of your vehicle. My Red Head *loves* the
        clothes bars.

        Transport the bows in a 'Bow Case' which can be nothing more than a very
        long "sock" sewn up to protect the bow from scratches and to keep the
        string with the bow. My belt brother has a 'wooden' bow case with a hinged
        lid which also carries his beeswax, knock pliers, fletchtite, tip glue,
        bow square, yadda yadda. Very nice.

        Be safe. 50 week town run is almost finished!!

        Brad

        > Leaving a bow strung does not promote limb twist. Improper storage and
        > improper stringing technique both promote limb twist.
        >
        > Guy

      • Guy Taylor
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 20, 2010
          While I obviously cannot answer to your individual situation, bowyers have checked bows that have been strung for years at a time and have seen no drop in weight.

          Guy