Greetings and string-length advice needed

  • earthsong99
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2010
      Hello all!

      New to this group and a beginner in target archery. I just got my first bow (a 45# 60" Bear recurve). I'm very excited to get started, but need to get off on the right foot. I can't pull back a 45# bow easily (can but it's shaky and I wouldn't last long) and so it was suggested to me to put a longer string on it. It was also suggested that I could "un-twist" the string a bit to get some more give on it and tighten it back as I get stronger.

      So, my question is...if I get a longer string AND plan on untwisting/retwisting, then what length string should I get? 62", 64"?
      If any more info is needed to help with this matter, please let me know - happy to give details!

      Also, I'm in AEthelmearc, Dominion of Myrkfaelinn - are there any more local email groups or listservs I could join in on?

      Thanks!
      - Laura :)
    • Carolus
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2010
        It is a myth that lengthening a string will reduce the draw weight of a
        bow. It will only change the efficiency of the bow by changing the
        brace height. At any given point of flex, a bow will have the same
        force applied to the string. If a bowstring measures 56 inches, it will
        put a certain force on the bow at rest (brace height) and the force
        required to draw it to full draw will be a certain amount (in this case
        45# at 28*). Putting a longer string on it will reduce the force at
        rest but still require the same force at full draw. There will be a
        small difference in the performance of the arrow. That is why twisting
        or untwisting the string is good for tuning the bow to attain maximum
        performance with a particular set of arrows.

        A more important question would be, how long can you hold this bow at
        full draw? Find a local coach and work with him/her to do some form and
        strength building exercises or you will need a lighter bow until you
        build into this one.
        Carolus

        earthsong99 wrote:
        > Hello all!
        >
        > New to this group and a beginner in target archery. I just got my first bow (a 45# 60" Bear recurve). I'm very excited to get started, but need to get off on the right foot. I can't pull back a 45# bow easily (can but it's shaky and I wouldn't last long) and so it was suggested to me to put a longer string on it. It was also suggested that I could "un-twist" the string a bit to get some more give on it and tighten it back as I get stronger.
        >
        > So, my question is...if I get a longer string AND plan on untwisting/retwisting, then what length string should I get? 62", 64"?
        > If any more info is needed to help with this matter, please let me know - happy to give details!
        >
        > Also, I'm in AEthelmearc, Dominion of Myrkfaelinn - are there any more local email groups or listservs I could join in on?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > - Laura :)

      • Terrance Timmons
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9, 2010
          On youtube there is a whole series of home excercises you can do to tone and build strength for archery.  if you cant find them, email me off list and Ill send the links i have and you can go from there

          Terrance
          Atenveldt

        • nelson3146@roadrunner.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 9, 2010
            as a coach I would have advised you to start with a lighter bow and to work your way up to a weight you like. (also for SCA shooting you do not really need anything heavier then 35# or 40#).
            --
            Carl Nelson
            Æoelwigg Ælfwiggsson

            ---- earthsong99 <twopeaedpod@...> wrote:
            > Hello all!
            >
            > New to this group and a beginner in target archery. I just got my first bow (a 45# 60" Bear recurve). I'm very excited to get started, but need to get off on the right foot. I can't pull back a 45# bow easily (can but it's shaky and I wouldn't last long) and so it was suggested to me to put a longer string on it. It was also suggested that I could "un-twist" the string a bit to get some more give on it and tighten it back as I get stronger.
            >
            > So, my question is...if I get a longer string AND plan on untwisting/retwisting, then what length string should I get? 62", 64"?
            > If any more info is needed to help with this matter, please let me know - happy to give details!
            >
            > Also, I'm in AEthelmearc, Dominion of Myrkfaelinn - are there any more local email groups or listservs I could join in on?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > - Laura :)

          • Jason Yeates
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 9, 2010
              Hi Laura!

              I'm pretty sure everyone would agree with Carl.  When you are first starting out, it's very important to develop your form - this is impossible if you have trouble drawing.

              I find that once you get tired from shooting that your accuracy will plummet, which is super frustrating when you are beginning. :)  I'd strongly recommend learning to shoot with a lighter draw until you can fully draw your 45# without the shake.

              I also think you will also find that the range marshalls will be concerned about your ability to handle the bow safely if you shake while demonstrating your draw during bow inspection.

              All that being said, you must be pretty strong already to be able to pull the 45# at all - with some work I'd expect you to be able to handle the bow pretty quickly.

              Welcome to the archery addiction! :)

              On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM, <nelson3146@...> wrote:

              as a coach I would have advised you to start with a lighter bow and to work your way up to a weight you like. (also for SCA shooting you do not really need anything heavier then 35# or 40#).
              --
              Carl Nelson
              Æoelwigg Ælfwiggsson
              Captain of Archers Barony of the Angels
              NELSON3146@...
              PH#626-297-6513

              ---- earthsong99 <twopeaedpod@...> wrote:
              > Hello all!
              >
              > New to this group and a beginner in target archery. I just got my first bow (a 45# 60" Bear recurve). I'm very excited to get started, but need to get off on the right foot. I can't pull back a 45# bow easily (can but it's shaky and I wouldn't last long) and so it was suggested to me to put a longer string on it. It was also suggested that I could "un-twist" the string a bit to get some more give on it and tighten it back as I get stronger.
              >
              > So, my question is...if I get a longer string AND plan on untwisting/retwisting, then what length string should I get? 62", 64"?
              > If any more info is needed to help with this matter, please let me know - happy to give details!
              >
              > Also, I'm in AEthelmearc, Dominion of Myrkfaelinn - are there any more local email groups or listservs I could join in on?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > - Laura :)

            • Lord Alester MacClansy
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10, 2010
                I heartily concur that getting your form correct is very important. It's taken me 3 years for it to come naturally. Also remember if you lower your bow weight you may find you have to "arch" your arrows in to the target. Most of my friends shoot #45 or greater bows. While they have a flatter trajectory than my #35, I often have to remind myself to shoot in an arc. I think seeing them shoot rather flat I subconsiously shoot flat. When my arrow surfs under the target is when I go "DOH!". Best of luck to you in your shooting endeavors!

                Klancey

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Jason Yeates <yeatesman@...> wrote:

                > Hi Laura!
                >
                > I'm pretty sure everyone would agree with Carl. When you are first starting
                > out, it's very important to develop your form - this is impossible if you
                > have trouble drawing.
                >
                > I find that once you get tired from shooting that your accuracy will
                > plummet, which is super frustrating when you are beginning. :) I'd strongly
                > recommend learning to shoot with a lighter draw until you can fully draw
                > your 45# without the shake.
                >
                > I also think you will also find that the range marshalls will be concerned
                > about your ability to handle the bow safely if you shake while demonstrating
                > your draw during bow inspection.
                >
                > All that being said, you must be pretty strong already to be able to pull
                > the 45# at all - with some work I'd expect you to be able to handle the bow
                > pretty quickly.
                >
                > Welcome to the archery addiction! :)
                >

                > On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM, <nelson3146@...> wrote:
                >

                > > as a coach I would have advised you to start with a lighter bow and to work
                > > your way up to a weight you like. (also for SCA shooting you do not really
                > > need anything heavier then 35# or 40#).
                > > --
                > > Carl Nelson
                > > Æoelwigg Ælfwiggsson
                > > Captain of Archers Barony of the Angels
                > > NELSON3146@... <NELSON3146%40roadrunner.com>
                > > PH#626-297-6513
                > >

                > > ---- earthsong99 <twopeaedpod@... <twopeaedpod%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                > > > Hello all!
                > > >
                > > > New to this group and a beginner in target archery. I just got my first
                > > bow (a 45# 60" Bear recurve). I'm very excited to get started, but need to
                > > get off on the right foot. I can't pull back a 45# bow easily (can but it's
                > > shaky and I wouldn't last long) and so it was suggested to me to put a
                > > longer string on it. It was also suggested that I could "un-twist" the
                > > string a bit to get some more give on it and tighten it back as I get
                > > stronger.
                > > >
                > > > So, my question is...if I get a longer string AND plan on
                > > untwisting/retwisting, then what length string should I get? 62", 64"?
                > > > If any more info is needed to help with this matter, please let me know -
                > > happy to give details!
                > > >
                > > > Also, I'm in AEthelmearc, Dominion of Myrkfaelinn - are there any more
                > > local email groups or listservs I could join in on?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks!
                > > > - Laura :)

              • Carolus
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 10, 2010
                  I find my 37# bow will shoot nearly flat at 20 or 30yds. I only have to
                  aim a bit high at 40. I do have to aim towards the top ring at 60yds.
                  Much of this is due to release and follow through. using a misture of
                  talcum powder and corn starch on your glove or tab will make the release
                  smoother as will learning to let your fingers relax quickly to clear the
                  string. Do not stop pulling when you reach your anchor but pull through
                  the point. Stopping your draw at anchor will actually cause the bow to
                  relax slightly losing poundage at release. With an anchor point at the
                  chin or corner of the mouth, releasing there and pullling through, your
                  hand should end up below your ear near your neck. Make sure your bow
                  arm continues to point at the target and do not allow it to drop until
                  you hear the arrow hit. This follow through is the most important part
                  of getting a flat shot. It is one of the most important parts of
                  shooting and is seldom taught. There are many other fine details to
                  getting the best shot but this is enough to think about for now.
                  Carolus

                  Lord Alester MacClansy wrote:
                  > I heartily concur that getting your form correct is very important. It's taken me 3 years for it to come naturally. Also remember if you lower your bow weight you may find you have to "arch" your arrows in to the target. Most of my friends shoot #45 or greater bows. While they have a flatter trajectory than my #35, I often have to remind myself to shoot in an arc. I think seeing them shoot rather flat I subconsiously shoot flat. When my arrow surfs under the target is when I go "DOH!". Best of luck to you in your shooting endeavors!
                  >
                  > Klancey

                • Laura Woinoski
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
                    Thanks for the advice, everyone!
                    I went to the archery shop and the guy there was really great - he let me borrow a 25# recurve and some arrows and I left my bow there as "collateral." He's ordering the "normal string" for it and will call me when it's in.
                    I went to PAX yesterday and practiced for many hours at the range, it was great! The bow was really easy to use and I think by the time I have to return this one, then I'll be able to shoot a 35#. So, I'll contact the Deftwood archery Marshal like it was suggested to see if I can borrow a 35# bow for a while so I can work up :)
                    And I know I don't NEED a 45# bow, but I got this $150+ bow for $30 on Craigslist, I can't expect to find a deal like that again in a long time probably! lol
                    - Laura :)

                    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi
                  • Lord Alester MacClansy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 11, 2010
                      I forgot to mention I shoot an English red oak longbow. That may account for the arching versus flat trajectory.It is call "arch"ery after all...

                      Klancey