Re: [SCA-Archery] Wo hooo!!!

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 18, 2010
      It would appear to be from PSE's Heritage line (possibly made by Samick)
      from the late 90's. I found an archived post on another forum from
      about 2 years ago offering one (60# hand not noted) for sale for $160
      pickup/$180 shipped. I have found the Samick made bows good shooters.
      Carolus

      Brad Boda d'Aylward wrote:
      > I got lucky!!!! We took a 'short cut' home through a small town last Sat. I
      > knew there were several houses back there who sometimes had yard sales and I
      > got lucky. Got me an 55# american flat bow for $30 in gorgeous shape. I
      > didn't have the heart to gloat in front of the guy. He seemed to know his
      > equipment though 'cause he brought out his baby, a beautiful oak character
      > self bow.
      >
      > UUUHHHmmmmm. anybody know anything about a *Heritage - Marksman* bower???
      >
      > How good of a deal did I actually get??
      >
      > Brada

    • Brad Boda d'Aylward
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 18, 2010
        Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Wo hooo!!!

        > It would appear to be from PSE's Heritage line (possibly made by Samick)
        > from the late 90's. I found an archived post on another forum from
        > about 2 years ago offering one (60# hand not noted) for sale for $160
        > pickup/$180 shipped. I have found the Samick made bows good shooters.
        > Carolus

        Now I'm all awiggle. I hope to try it out tomorrow at the Myrkie event.

        Brada
      • JohnBorOx@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 19, 2010
          Hey, $30 for any bow would be good in my estimation as long as its not warped.  *grin*

          John Bor Ox
        • bradb@micro-link.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 20, 2010
            Just shot it yesterday an it is SWEET!!! I'm all warm an' fuzzy inside.

            Brada

            > Hey, $30 for any bow would be good in my estimation as long as its not
            > warped. *grin*
            >
            > John Bor Ox

          • logantheboweyder
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 24, 2010
              If it helps any, I believe the Heritage Marksman longbow was made by PSE.

              Logan

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

              > I got lucky!!!! We took a 'short cut' home through a small town last Sat. I
              > knew there were several houses back there who sometimes had yard sales and I
              > got lucky. Got me an 55# american flat bow for $30 in gorgeous shape. I
              > didn't have the heart to gloat in front of the guy. He seemed to know his
              > equipment though 'cause he brought out his baby, a beautiful oak character
              > self bow.
              >
              > UUUHHHmmmmm. anybody know anything about a *Heritage - Marksman* bower???
              >
              > How good of a deal did I actually get??
              >
              > Brada

            • Bill Tait
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 24, 2010
                Ahh PSE. Point Shoot Explode.

                The recurve I'm currently buying has a history of cracking in the riser (at poundages over 42#, and high arrows volumes). The great thing I've heard about PSE is that their warranty department is good to deal with. They replace this faulty riser straight across with the new model.

                William Arwemakere

                On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 11:25 AM, logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

                If it helps any, I believe the Heritage Marksman longbow was made by PSE.

                Logan

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Boda d'Aylward" <bradb@...> wrote:

                > I got lucky!!!! We took a 'short cut' home through a small town last Sat. I
                > knew there were several houses back there who sometimes had yard sales and I
                > got lucky. Got me an 55# american flat bow for $30 in gorgeous shape. I
                > didn't have the heart to gloat in front of the guy. He seemed to know his
                > equipment though 'cause he brought out his baby, a beautiful oak character
                > self bow.
                >
                > UUUHHHmmmmm. anybody know anything about a *Heritage - Marksman* bower???
                >
                > How good of a deal did I actually get??
                >
                > Brada

              • Hobbe
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 24, 2010
                  I just won the East Kingdom's King & Queens Archery Championship with a 45# PSE Heritage Sequoia. Bought it for $200 at Cabellas.
                  ~Hobbe

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Bill Tait <arwemakere@...> wrote:

                  > Ahh PSE. Point Shoot Explode.

                • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 25, 2010
                    Yup. PSE logo on the limb.

                    Brada

                    Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Wo hooo!!!

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 25, 2010
                      Don't scare me like that. Is there a difference with their 'long' bow vrs.
                      their recurve?? I got this used at a yard sale so I don't know if the
                      warranty is good.

                      Brada

                      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Wo hooo!!!

                      Ahh PSE. Point Shoot Explode.

                      The recurve I'm currently buying has a history of cracking in the riser (at
                      poundages over 42#, and high arrows volumes). The great thing I've heard
                      about PSE is that their warranty department is good to deal with. They
                      replace this faulty riser straight across with the new model.

                      William Arwemakere
                    • Brett Wilmore
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 25, 2010
                        Master Arwemakere,

                        With all due respect Sir, there are a lot of PSE shooters in the SCA, and your "point, shoot, explode" comment, broadcast to the SCA Archery Community At Large, was not only melodramatic, it was probably libelous (and I would not want to test that theory).

                        I know loads of PSE bow shooters, in and out of the SCA, who are very happy with their bows and have not experienced an "explosion".  My Lord, I have seen your IKAC scores, and I'm sure you are an amazing archer, but you have lost credibility with me.

                        YIS,
                        Alaxandar mac Donnaidh
                        Forester, Barony of Tir Ysgithr,
                        Kingdom of Atenveldt
                        ...NO affiliation with PSE.

                        Don't scare me like that. Is there a difference with their 'long' bow vrs.
                        their recurve?? I got this used at a yard sale so I don't know if the
                        warranty is good.

                        Brada

                        Ahh PSE. Point Shoot Explode.

                        The recurve I'm currently buying has a history of cracking in the riser (at
                        poundages over 42#, and high arrows volumes). The great thing I've heard
                        about PSE is that their warranty department is good to deal with. They
                        replace this faulty riser straight across with the new model.

                        William Arwemakere

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • John Chapin

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 25, 2010
                            Besides, did you not see the bit about me buying one?

                            I'd also wager that the PSE bows shot be SCA archers are not aluminum-risered recurves. The bow I'm specifically referring to is the X-Factor. They crack at the clicker plate inset; there's not enough of a radius, and it's a stress riser. It's a known defect in the design. The bow was discontinued, and replaced by the X-Appeal, which Jennifer Nichols is using with quite a bit of success.

                            (Even though Hoyt is winning more...)

                            William

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 25, 2010
                              Oooh, I just now saw the bit about losing credibility. I didn't know I had any to start with..

                              It also appears that I left the smiley off after my initial PSE comment. I forgot that perhaps not many SCA shooters were familliar with the joke.

                              Brada, I have not heard anything negative regarding the Heritage line, or any of the wooden handled recurves. I have broken two Ragim Victory recurves, right through the handle at the shelf. This is the same riser as the PSE Buckeye. Granted, the first was my primary warbow for 5 years, and saw in excess of 45 wars, 3 Kingdom Championships, and had been dropped and roughly handled over a number of years.

                              Oh, and I'm no Master, nor am I a Knight, not even an OGGS (An Tir's grant-level archery award). Nope, I'm just a run of the mill combat archer...

                              William Arwemakere
                              Thrice Kingdom Protector, An Tir
                              Archery Champion, Baron of Bordermarch, Ansteorra
                              Goutte de Sang, Lions Arrow, Pernicious Lily, AoA
                              Grandmaster Bowman (with a mid 70's ChekMate recurve.. you know, that ugly Yellow thing from Gulf Wars)

                              Current rig:
                              Hoyt Eclipse, Win & Win Winex carbon / foam limbs, Beiter, Shibuya, with a smattering of Cartel.

                              On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Bill Tait <arwemakere@...> wrote:
[...]

                            • Alaxandar mac Donnaidh
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 25, 2010
                                William, you're the one who said "point, shoot, explode".  I really don't give a crap about aluminum risers or your other insider knowledge.  In my experience, which I'm certain is less than yours, the level of experience of traditional archers in the SCA is well less than in, say, the Leatherwall or Tradgang traditional archery communities, with which I am well acquainted.  And, given that, your "insider" criticism about PSE bows, broadcast to the entire SCA as an SCA bigshot, was IMHO, in horrible taste and judgment.  You'll notice, it confused the SCA fellow who just bought a PSE longbow.

                                I stand by my previous remarks.  You should retract your statement.  And supporters, don't give me any "thin skin" BS.

                                The funny thing is, I believe I've shot with you (at Estrella two years ago).  I complemented your shooting.
                                ~Alaxandar

                                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/SCA- Archery/join

                                    SCA-Archery- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 26, 2010

                                      Please forgive me for sticking my nose into these things. I consider myself new to the sca and the sca archery scene. I have been doing this for just over a year. I look to this and the combat list to find out more information about sca archery. To get to know the other archers in other kingdoms and how I might better grow the archery program in my local communities. I am really disheartened about they way I have seen so many on here going at each others throats so recently. Are we not striving toward the same goals of recreating traditional archery from the middle ages and teach and educate about it??? Aren’t we suppose to be friends who get together in our local areas for camaraderie and fun? *joke* can we get a group hug and get back to the things we are here for?

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 26, 2010
                                        I have to agree, if intent is to pass on a joke, perhaps one could add a smiley face or
                                        begin with "funny saying I've heard."   And the lowest priced PSE bows are low cost
                                        starter bows and obviously not the same caliber of quality of a bow costing much more!! Also, manufacturing quality may have improved in 20 years. I own 5 PSE bows that I use
                                        for teaching newcomers/kids. My own bow is a Stemmler Turk that I've owned for 37 years
                                        and I hear comments all the time about using a Hunting bow for target archery. (but I like
                                        shooting this bow!!)

                                        Happy Shooting to everyone, whatever you shoot!!

                                        Osmond de Berwic

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 26, 2010
                                          Afternoon everyone! (Or good morning to those in other time zones, or who don;t check email every few hours. Don't want to leave you out of my greeting either)

                                          Right, so.

                                          Thorin: Re comments Oneida: FUNNY! And exactly what I've heard about the Eagle. Interesting concept, but don't mess with it unless you have to.    Hoyt: Yup, I'll agree. Currently shooting an Eclipse, but getting a GMX within a year. I am currently buying a PSE X-Factor.

                                          Osmond: In a follow up posting I mentioned that I forgot the smiley after my initial comment. That means that I admit I erred in not putting a smiley. My bad. My most sincereestness apologies to those who didn't get the joke because they'd not heard it before. Now the bow I am talking about isn't one of their lowest price bows. It's actually (was, until it was discontinued) the top of the line, currently listed for $580 FOR THE HANDLE ALONE. Add another $400 for decent limbs. I was talking with the people at the shoot today about the comment and resulting hoopla. One _sponsored_ PSE shooter said "Oh, do PSE recurves have cracking issues as well?". I was then told several stories of PSE risers cracking, including one that was failing during a round at a World Championship (or similar event).

                                          Alaxandar:
                                          Ford: Fix Or Repair Daily
                                          FIAT: Fix It Again, Tony
                                          Acura: Always Catching Up, Rarely Ahead
                                          BMW: Bring My Wallet
                                          Honda: Had One, Never Did Again
                                          Oldsmobile: Overpriced, Leisurely Driven Sedan Made Of Buick's Irregular Leftover Equipment

                                          Have you not ever heard any jokes like these? Are they libellous? Would you buy a mid 70's Pinto? You know, the ones that would explode when rear-ended. True, not every one of them did, but enough that they got the reputation (it was a design flaw). I think not. Funny, sometimes annoying (I like Ford), but does uttering one of these jokes warrant an apology and retraction?

                                          No.

                                          Relax, it was a joke. You didn't find it funny, that's okay.

                                          (Did you see the bit where I state that I am buying one?)
                                          (Did you see the bit about my not hearing anything bad about the wooden handled recurves? I'll extend that to their longbows as well)

                                          Oh, and regarding any retraction.. Nope. It is fact that a number of PSE recurves and compound bows have had cracking and failing issues. Some are recognised design flaws.

                                          William